Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:27 AM   #1

I have used a Nikkormat FT3 for 29 years.I feel likeI am ready to make the leap to a digital slr. I have a nikkor 50mm lens and a Tokina SZ-X 210 lens. Can I use these on the new D80? Then all I will have to purchase is the body of the D80. Or since the D80 kit lens is an 18-135mm would I be wise to get that too? Even if the others would fit the new body. I am new to the digital slr game and would appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #2
rey

I'm not familiar with those lenses, but I think it'll be smart to get the 18-135 kit lens with it. You'll probably save $100. Also, if you really want the camera, I would pre-order it now, otherwise, it probably won't be available for until after Christmas. Nikon is bad at keeping up with demand on new products.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

Rey

Thank you for your reply. I noticed on the Wolf Camera site that you could order the body with a Quantaray 18-200mm lens. Would this be a wise choice? Or am I better off with the kit lens? Also do you recommend a site for pre-order? Thank you for your help.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:23 PM   #4
rey

My guess is the Quantarray lens is made by Tamron. In this scenario, I'd probably go with quality instead of longer focal length and get it with Nikon 18-135. It cost less too.

For place to buy, I would suggest B&H, but it looks like they don't take pre-orders, so I would go with Adorama.com they're a legit online store.

But it's really a crap shoot on who will fill your order first. If Wolf do no charge you until you confirm an order, maybe you should put your pre-order on multiple sites. This is what people are doing for the popular 18-200VR lens. You can then cancel the other orders when you get one. Obviously, hoping that you don't get more than one at the same time. So I can't really suggest on which store can give you the camera the fastest.

For general online camera store, be sure to check resellerratings.com before buying anything as there are a lot of scams out there. If prices look too good to be true, it's probably a scam, so always compare prices with B&H (bhphotovideo.com) and Adorama

Good Luck!

Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:38 PM   #5
rey

I just saw this at another site. BuyDig is showing availability of D80, but with 18-55mm lens.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/SearchRes...;Search=Search

If you're eyeing a different telephoto lens, this may be a good match for you. Or, you can then buy a different lens, say the 18-200VR, and sell the lens that came with this kit. But unless you're buying the Nikon 18-200 VR, I'd probably still wait for a kit with 18-135mm.

BuyDig is a legit store as well, and I've done business with them. But I would call them first to make sure this is not a website error.

EDIT: I just checked BuyDig's twin, BeachCamera, and they also show availability, so it's probably NOT a typo. They also show a "Body Only" option:

http://beachcamera.com/shop/SearchRe...;Search=Search

Good Luck!