Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:45 PM   #1
rey

It looks like BeachCamera and BuyDig are now selling Nikon D80. I'm sure B&H will add theirs on their website, but they honor Sabbath, so that may not happen until Saturday night or Sunday morning, probably.

http://beachcamera.com/shop/SearchRe...;Search=Search
http://www.buydig.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=NKD80

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:05 AM   #2

www.PriceJapan.com : I found this site and they have the D80 selling there at a good price. It's only about 1030$ including shipping for the body only to Europe. I'm very tempted to get it there but I just don't know how serious they actually are about their business and whether they are reliable.
Btw, they also have the 18-200mm VR Nikkor that you can add to your D80 body. The price for that is not bad either, selling at 86000 YEN. The body only sells at 103000 YEN.
Anyone have any thought regarding this site and/or these prices?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:43 AM   #3
Administrator

I'm not familiar with the vendor. But, Nikon will usually refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the region you purchased it in.

These are referred to as gray market cameras.

Each Nikon Regional Office (Nikon Europe, Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, etc.) are setup as their own profit centers.

So, if you buy a camera that bypasses them (they are the regional distributors for Nikon products), they don't make any money on the sale and do not want to incur the cost of repairing these products.

Nikon Canada and Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market Nikon camera (one not intended for sale in the region you live in), even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

I feel certain that this is done in part to discourage the practice of bypassing the authorized distribution network. I don't know how selective Nikon Europe is. But, you'd be taking your chances on getting one fixed if you don't buy one from an authorized Nikon dealer in the country that you live in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks you Jim for your help. Do you know whether an international warranty will be valid for service in Europe?
Also, are Japanese electrical standards (I am refering to power supply plugs) similar to US or European standards? Will there be a great difference from the US/European package to the Japanese one, cable wise?
Unfortunately, the prices in Europe are som much higher than those in Japan/US. So, I see myself in need to buy one from the other side of the world because it is so much more affordable.
Thanks again.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Administrator

No, I don't know. Your best bet is to check with Nikon in the region you live in (Nikon Europe, etc.).

Chances are, they are going to refuse to service it if it was not intended for sale in the region you live in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service (that is the policy that Nikon USA and Nikon Canada have adopted).

As for the power connections, I can't answer that either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:11 PM   #6

even if you did have a different plug, you would jsut buy your regional plug replace it with the plug you cant use and your off.?
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:54 PM   #7

Also

Wolfcamera

ritz

have stock
luix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:24 PM   #8

3 out of the 5 best buys near me have the D80 in stock (since Friday!). The one I visited also had the XTi. If you want to touchy/feely it, make your way!!!
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:08 AM   #9

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
3 out of the 5 best buys near me have the D80 in stock (since Friday!). The one I visited also had the XTi. If you want to touchy/feely it, make your way!!!
I was actually waiting for the XTi and the Sony Alpha but wound up with a D50.
Traded some FPS speed for about a $500 savings......tempted to go to best buy but afraid I'll wind up with buyers remorse.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:34 PM   #10

My local Circuit City has 3 D80's in stock and had at least 1 Rebel XTi and the Sony Alpha. I picked up the Alpha and could not find the shutter release without looking. The XTI was not on display but the hand grip seemed impossibly small after holding the Sony, and the Nikon. They would not open a D80 box and the guy walked away from me to help some one who just walked up, I had been waiting patiently for 15 minuets. The other guy was looking at a $200 and the guy working there looked like he was homeless. I must have scared him away when asking a few basic questions. I have written an email to there corporate office and I will buy from Beach Camera unless they turn around and offer me a few hundred dollars off, then I might buy from them. Circuit City only has the kit with the 18-135 and Beach/buydig has the 18-55 kit
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote