Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:51 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase a d50, thats it, no more research no more waiting!! I do not like the kit lenses or at least I think I don't. After extensive reading and posting other pics with previous camera, I need two lenses: family in and out door and sports low light baseball, football, basketball.

First is the tamron 17-50 f2.8

second the sigma 70-200 f2.8

The cost of these lenses puts me over budget, does nikon or another manufacturer make something similar. Or should I not settle for anything less?

Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:08 PM   #2

Why are you opposed to the kit lenses?? They seem to have gotten a bad rap, and while they are not top of the line, they are solid if unremarkable performers. Most of the shortcomings disappear when stopped down, and you're unlikely to notice shortcomings at normal print/viewing sizes. They really do offer a lot of bang for the buck and are worth considering especially for the beginner.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:27 PM   #3

I appreciate your advice and you are right, but the kit lenses dont open to f2. From all the data I have gathered I need f2 more night baseball and football. Any suggestions?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:13 AM   #4

I personally own the Sigma f/2.8 70-200 lens. It's fantastic. VERY fast focusing. Does very well in low light. It's HEAVY though I'll say right now. but it's built extremely well. I bought mine from www.sigma4less.com they were out of the regular model so I got the 70-200mm EX DG APO HSM MACRO model as a substitute the only difference being the macro capability.

I haven't had occasion to try it out yet with low light sporting events but I have tried it out on low light or indoor light shooting my cats while they're running around my house and it's proved itself to take nice sharp pictures of action pretty easily. I really like it the ONLY problem I have with it so far is that because it's widest length is 70mm it's not all inclusive so you really do need an additonal lens to go with it.

I found my D50 at Office Depot last week for $499 on sale they're discontinuing them so they're blowing them out.

The Kit lens actually takes some very nice photos though is not as fast as the Sigma both in focus and f/stop values however it may be worth using until you're SURE you need to plunk down the extra money on the tamron lens. I would think MOST of the work you're going to be doing with a 17-50mm lens will be within the range of a speedlight therefore negating the need for a superfast lens.

Alternately you could do as I did. Pickup the D50 kit for $499. Pickup the Sigma for $799 and then for around $109 I bought a Nikon 50mm F1.8 for shooting portraits with. this combo even allows you to add a SB-600 speedlight and still come in under the original budet (given you're paying around $440 for the tamron lens)
AND you now have 3 lenses to choose from depending on your situation.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

There are several primes that go to F2.8, some even to f 1.8 (the 50mm and 85mm come to mind in the f1.8 range). The F2.8 constant zooms are very expensive, and the primes may not give you enough reach. If you can get close, the 85 may work (it a 128 equivalent in 35mm terms).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote