Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:29 PM   #1

Folks,

I bought a Nikon D50 last Spring with the kit lens. Currently shooting with a Nikon 80-200D ED f/2.8 & Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6.

I shoot primarily HS sports - baseball/football/basketball as close as I am allowed.
(a few steps off the playing field)

I am considering the following - a Nikon D200 as my main camera body as I am looking for faster focus, a better built/weighted camera body & more options for ISO/White Balance etc.

Is this a smart move? Looking for folks' comments who have the D200 & shoot sports.

Thanks in advance for your help!
SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:39 AM   #2

You will certainly get faster performance, better build quality, and more burst with the D200.Theuser selectable ISO in 1/3 stops give you finer control. You also have some finer white balance control, although that is rendered moot if you shoot in RAW. You will have to switch to CF cards but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker. You just have to ask yourself what about the D50 is holding you back, and if the D200 is worth the extra cost.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:39 AM   #3

Hi Sporshotlive,

I have not used a D50 But I do have the D200 and it is a great camera. If You can afford one I'm sure you will love the way it feels in your hand as well as the photographs it will provide. It is very sturdy and is protected with seals. It also has a feature called Auto ISO that is perfect for shooting Weddings and Sports events. Another great feature is you can shoot a "RAW" & "JPG" at the same exact time giving you both files of the image. The D200's buffer will hold up to 19 raw& jpg files before filling up or if you just shoot jpg fine it will hold 37 frames. Raw only it will hold 22 frames. Even with the buffer full it does not take long to clear using a sandisk extremeIII 2GB CF card.

If you decide to get one you should also consider the MB-D200 battery pack. It adds a vertical shutter release and will allow the use of two battery's. It gives the D200 perfect balance and just plain feels good in your hands.

Read Steves review on the D200 and you will probably want one.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4

SportShotsLive wrote:
Quote:
Folks,

I bought a Nikon D50 last Spring with the kit lens. Currently shooting with a Nikon 80-200D ED f/2.8 & Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6.

I shoot primarily HS sports - baseball/football/basketball as close as I am allowed.
(a few steps off the playing field)

I am considering the following - a Nikon D200 as my main camera body as I am looking for faster focus, a better built/weighted camera body & more options for ISO/White Balance etc.

Is this a smart move? Looking for folks' comments who have the D200 & shoot sports.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I just recieved my D200 with MB200 battery grip last week.I upgraded from a D50 which I will now use as back up.I`ve only taken a few shots with it and I love it so far.I took some property pics today(interior and exterior)with Sigma 10-20and was very happy with the results.I can`t comment on sports shots but I will be shooting some Power boats next week, I`m looking forward to it.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:19 PM   #5

Hi TD,

Happy to hear you got your D200. You are really going to like it a lot. I would not trade mine for anything else out there.

When you take Your powerboat pictures do not fall into the water. The D200 is moisture resistant, Not Waterproof.:-)

Don't forget to show us a picture.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

I have recently bought a D200. Spent more than I intended - but knew from first holding it to my eye that I had to have it.

I nowthinkita brilliantpurchase - wonderful to work with and top quality results - and have forgotten the price already.

Have a wonderful 5fps sequence of a work colleague's face turning from mild surprise to jaw dropped amazement as I demonstrated it to him. Would suggest it's good for practically allsports -autofocus works really well and negligible (i.e. imperceptible) start-up & shutter delays, as I'm sure you know from reviews.
SimonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:59 AM   #7

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi TD,

Happy to hear you got your D200. You are really going to like it a lot. I would not trade mine for anything else out there.

Ronnie,
Yeah your right Ronnie,after playing around with it for a while I know I made the right choice.I got 2 assignments at the Lake District tomorrow,I can really put it to the test (now that I have figured out commander mode :?, the Nikon manual doesn`t go into a lot of detail).

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote