Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:00 AM   #1

HI,

I had a question and hope someone can help me...

I found a D50 at a local store that is being sold as an 'open item'. It includes the D50 body, 18-55 lens and USB cable and lens cap. If I don't have a warranty card, can I still get the mfgr warranty? The salesperson said that I could, but I'm sure he doesn't really know. Also, it's going for $599 which I don't think is a good deal based on the things it's coming with, but the salesperson said that they mark the open items down frequently until they sell. The store is within walking distance so it's no prob for me to keep checking in. Would it be a bad purchase for a beginner since it doesn't come with the manual? I'm sure I could get a manual separately. Are there other things the camera usually comes with that may pose a prob without having?

Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:06 AM   #2

If it is at Best-Buy or Circuit City make them provide a warrenty thru the store for a couple of years. You can download a manual right from thr Nikon Website.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

You say it includes the camera, lens, and USB cable only?. There should also be a battery, battery charger, CD Disk with required software like RAW convertor. If it does not come with these items it sound's likea bad deal to me. By the time you purchase the battery and chager you could have bought the same kit sealed and factory fresh somwhere else. There are ebay vendors selling this kit new for $659.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:47 AM   #4

a200user wrote:
Quote:
You say it includes the camera, lens, and USB cable only?. There should also be a battery, battery charger, CD Disk with required software like RAW convertor. If it does not come with these items it sound's likea bad deal to me. By the time you purchase the battery and chager you could have bought the same kit sealed and factory fresh somwhere else. There are ebay vendors selling this kit new for $659.

Oops, it also has a battery, but no charger. I didn't think it was a good deal for $599, but the camera is hidden amongst other open items...the salesperson had to dig to find it. I was thinking (wishful, I'm sure ) that it may go down quite a bit since it's hidden and the price isn't very low yet. I'm going to keep checking back though. I've seen some kits on Cameta that looked like great deals. I'm not quite ready to buy yet (still between this and another camera), but I'm on the lookout for a deal I can't refuse.

Thanks, both of you, for the info.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:24 AM   #5

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...52&forum_id=58

check out my thread.
You may just get lucky if you have an Office Depot near you!
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:24 AM   #6

It doesn't sound like a great deal. Also, usually store employees end up getting the great markdowns. When the deal becomes too great to pass up, some employee jumps on it first before a regular customer has a chance to even see it (trust me i worked in the CE/entertainment retail world for many years). For me unless the savings is considerable, I feel alot better buying new when it comes to camera bodies.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote