Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   18-70 mm Nikkon lens help (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/18-70-mm-nikkon-lens-help-163622/)

miniion Dec 22, 2009 12:35 PM

18-70 mm Nikkon lens help

Hello everybody,
I'm in a bit of trouble, just sold my 18-70 mm lens on Amazon and the buyer
says the auto focus would not work past 35. What would the problem be?
Below is the e-mail that I've got from him.
Thank in advance for you input and Happy Holidays !

"Hello,
I received the Nikon lens today. It looks fine. However, the auto-focus does not work at all when you zoom past 35. The auto-focus only works when you are not zooming, making this zoom lens unusable.
Do you have and suggestions? I am using this on my D80. I also have a D70 and it does not work on it either."

miniion Dec 22, 2009 12:36 PM

18-70 mm Nikon lens

I forgot to mention this is the DX lens.

Hards80 Dec 22, 2009 1:05 PM

was it performing adequately prior to shipping?

miniion Dec 22, 2009 1:33 PM

Yes, flawlessly. I've used them with my Fuji S2 Pro.

Hards80 Dec 22, 2009 1:36 PM

it sounds like something was damaged in shipping. i am not sure exactly what can be done as I am not sure how the insurance on that works and how you would prove that it was actually damaged during shipping.

miniion Dec 22, 2009 1:56 PM

I see. Remains to be seen if the lens still works once I'll get it back. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hards80 Dec 22, 2009 2:01 PM

best of luck, that is always a bad situation to be in.

miniion Dec 23, 2009 4:28 PM

That is weird, though. Look what the guy says in his e-mail:

I have the positions set correctly. I have used a D70 and a D80 Nikon for 4 years now.
It will not auto-focus at all past 35 zoom. It is basically a 18 to 35 mm zoom. This is not what I wanted. I wanted the full zoom/autofocus capabilities. I hate the hassle of having to ship it back to you and then wait for a credit. What are your thoughts on a price adjustment?
Buyer....

In a message dated 12/22/2009 11:06:39 A.M. Central Standard Time, Seller....
Hello,
I've had no problems using the autofocus on my FujiS2 Pro. However, if you are not
happy with your lens, I could issue a full refund(minus shipping), or I could work with you on the price,
if you'd like. I'll be glad to help you either way.
Just a reminder, is the AF/MF set in AF position on the lens?
Seller.....
"I guess I think it should be a little more then $35.00 because right now it is just a "normal" non-zoom auto-focus lens."
Buyer....

Just to make sure I've got it right, I did talk to a professional photographer and he said the
auto-focus will either work or not, and the guy probably does not know how to use the lens.
What do you guys think?

miniion Dec 23, 2009 4:29 PM

So basically this lens performs like a 18-35? Is that possible or he's just trying to
get some money back?

Hawgwild Dec 23, 2009 4:38 PM

Not sure what the selling price was, but I wouldn't adjust the price based on his word. You may be dealing with someone less than honest. I would have him ship the lens back, he pays for shipping, and see if there is indeed anything wrong with the lens. Either way, you are now "behind the eight-ball". I don't deal with E-Bay, Craigslist is dangerous enough, and at least you get to try the merchandise first. Just my .02.

Robert