Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   70-300mm to photograph from moving vessel (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/70-300mm-photograph-moving-vessel-188768/)

banksy Jun 7, 2011 11:04 PM

70-300mm to photograph from moving vessel

Hi everyone,

I am considering the Nikon 70-300 AF-S f4/5-5.6G IF ED lens for a European River cruise in October (European Autumn).

I understand the VR can be set in either "Normal" or "Active" mode and that "Active" is best to shoot from a moving car/ship.

The scenery distance ranges (vessel to shore) from 50 metres to infinity.

If I was to hand-hold the camera, set on "active", would there be a better/best setting to use due to the movement. For example, would I need to use sports mode?

Also, I have been informed by another kind forum member, that a Circular Polariser will be required due to the fog on the river during this time of the year. Is there a particular type you would recommend due to the light conditions?

Thank you in advance for your valuable advice. Cheers Lyn

TCav Jun 8, 2011 3:32 AM

The rocking of a floating vessel is a lot different from the bumps and jolts that can occur in a moving land vehicle. However severe the rocking might be, it is still not likely to cause motion blur within the span of time that your shutter would be open during a typical outdoor exposure. While hand-holding the camera, you're much more likely to get motion blur do to the movement of your hands than from movement of waves. I wouldn't make any adjustments to the camera's settings based on the difference between standing on a floating vessel and standing on Terra firma.

While a Circular Polarizing Filter would be a good idea for later in the day when the fog has burned off, while the fog is still around, I think you'd be better served by a strong UV filter.

banksy Jun 8, 2011 5:54 AM

Thanks TCav for your prompt answer.
I should also have mentioned that the Rhine/Rhone & Main Rivers are very calm and the camera I will be using is a Nikon D7000 to save anyone asking.

paniolo Jun 11, 2011 6:27 AM

banksy,

I have the 70-300 on my D90. You may be better off hand holding the camera rather than tripod or bracing on a rail. On my recent Yosemite/SF trip, shot a video of sea lions at the pier while resting the camera on a rail. All vibrations on the rail caused by people away from me resulted in the "shakes" in the video clip. I think similar results with stills. BTW, yes, leave your VR on active.

Good luck on your trip!

banksy Jun 13, 2011 3:30 AM

Thanks paniolo, I did enjoy your Yosemite trip...
Our trip isn't until October 2012 but I'm sure we will enjoy.
TCav, your input has been invaluable over the years I have been seeking assistance.
Lyn

TCav Jun 13, 2011 5:25 AM

That's very kind of you to say.

Flying Fossil Jun 13, 2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banksy (Post 1233543)
Thanks paniolo, I did enjoy your Yosemite trip...
Our trip isn't until October 2012 but I'm sure we will enjoy.
TCav, your input has been invaluable over the years I have been seeking assistance.
Lyn

Since you have 3 months to prepare, I strongly recommend that you get that big lens in action now and practice using it. Get comfy and you will get some good results I'm sure.

banksy Jun 14, 2011 5:51 PM

Thanks Flying Fossil. I have just ordered the lens and now await its arrival. Will certainly get out there and practice, practice :)

Graystar Jun 15, 2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banksy (Post 1234015)
Thanks Flying Fossil. I have just ordered the lens and now await its arrival. Will certainly get out there and practice, practice :)

You gotta have a technique to practice with. Try the following...it's what I use, and properly done it lets you get the most out of your VR system.

http://nikonexposed.wordpress.com/20...a-steady-grip/

paniolo Jun 15, 2011 4:29 AM

banksy,
Good advice from others regarding practice. When I started using this lens the image quality was in question because I could not get good results and was totally frustrated. I found that the filter that I used degraded the image. I now use Hoya Pro1 filters with much better results.