Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
Carriemn's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1


New here.

I am buying a Nikon d50 this week.

I am debating between the Tamron 18-200 with the w/Quantaray 28-90mm (kit lens) i like the idea of one lens...but I know the nikon 18-200 comes with imagae stabilization feature and the tamron does not- how important is that.

or getting the 18-55nikon andtheTamron Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro Lens

OR the 18-55 nikon and the nikon 55-200

Don't throw other options at me...if you had to choose one of the above which would it be?

Also...what is good lens (as cheap as I can go with out sacraficing quality) for taking action shots? thanks!!

Thanks so much!
Carriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
rey's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 949

I would get it with Tamron 18-200 and Quantaray 28-90. And then sell the Quantaray and get the Nikon 50mm 1.8

Make sure to checkout Cameta on eBay for D50 packages. They may have better prices.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
Wowzer's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 20

Image stabilization only helps for the photographer if he/she cannot keep the lens still. If an object is moving, image stabilization wont help at all.I have the nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I recently bought the Sigma 18-200. I'm not going back to the Nikons because of the ease of use. Dont bother with the 2 lens system, as you'll find not being able to zoom right when you want/need it. I had to constantly switch between the 18-55 and 55-200. It took too much time, and I missed my shot. With the Sigma, a twist of the wrist and voila!I just posted some pics comparing the 18-200 versus the nikon pair. http://www.speakeasy.net/~yeh/Sigma/Sigma.htmlIn terms of shooting action, I'd say that outdoor photography, the Sigma will be fine in the sun/overcast light. At night, you'll need a flash. I just got the SB-600. It throws a decent amount of light. If you need night time sports, then a faster lens like a nikon 80-200 2.8 is needed.GL
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
rjseeney's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398

I'm not a big fan of superzooms. They are convenient, but usually have some tradeoffs (all lenses do to be fair). They typically have pretty significant distortion at the extremes, and have worse distortion throughout the entire range then their smaller ranged cousins. They also are larger, and typically slower at any given focal length. The two kit lenses are inexpensive, especially when purchased with the camera. The extra bump in quality for the same price makes the two lens kit the better deal in my eyes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
audioedge's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 254

id do what Rey says.... I have a Tamron 28-300 and its on my camera 95% of the time... love that lens and so cheap, the other 5% I have the 50mm 1.8 on it
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:52 PM.