Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   Question about Tamron 18-250mm (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/question-about-tamron-18-250mm-154894/)

ride16 May 7, 2009 1:59 PM

Question about Tamron 18-250mm
 
I am thinking about getting the tamron 18-250mm lens, but I see two on amazon and I'm not sure what the differnce is. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...n+18-250+nikon

Which one would be better with the D90? And is it correct that neither of those lenses have any sort of vibration reduction?

Or, whould the 18-270 WITH vibration compensatin (is that the same as the VR in the nikon lenses?) be a better choice? I'd like to be able to get pretty crisp pictures at the telephoto end for wildlife photos, but I hear that this lens has had mixed reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-270m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK

Or, what about the 28-300 with VC? What's the difference between these two/which would be better for the D90?
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-300m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-300m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK

Too many choices. :crazy1: But, I think these are what I have my next lens narrowed down to. I just need to figure out which would be a good fit with the D90.

Thanks!

jimbellows May 8, 2009 12:00 PM

Those all look good, you need to pick the closest to what you'll need.
http://www.snagpic.com/users/img/226...vnsn/clear.gif

thebac May 8, 2009 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ride16 (Post 966975)
I am thinking about getting the tamron 18-250mm lens, but I see two on amazon and I'm not sure what the differnce is. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...n+18-250+nikon

Which one would be better with the D90? And is it correct that neither of those lenses have any sort of vibration reduction?

Or, whould the 18-270 WITH vibration compensatin (is that the same as the VR in the nikon lenses?) be a better choice? I'd like to be able to get pretty crisp pictures at the telephoto end for wildlife photos, but I hear that this lens has had mixed reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-270m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK

Or, what about the 28-300 with VC? What's the difference between these two/which would be better for the D90?
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-300m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-300m...d=EM2F6W4JN6GK

Too many choices. :crazy1: But, I think these are what I have my next lens narrowed down to. I just need to figure out which would be a good fit with the D90.

Thanks!

That's correct, neither of the Tamron 18-250mm lenses have VR (VC in Tamron land). One of them has no built-in focus motor, so it's screw-driven. The other has a built-in focus motor. Only the one with the built-in focus motor will AF on the D40(x), D60, and D5000. Both will AF just fine on the D90.

IMO, VR always helps, especially at longer focal lengths, so yes, the 18-270mm is probably a better choice. Is it $200 or so better? That's really up to you.

The difference between the two 28-300mm lenses is that one has a built-in focus motor and VC, the other one has neither (and is a different optical design). Between the 28-300mm with VC and the 18-270mm VC, the 18-270mm VC is probably a better choice for a D90--you're not giving up much at the tele end, but you're gaining a lot at the wide end (and 28mm isn't terribly wide on a D90). Of course, if you upgrade to an FX camera like the D700, you can't use the 18-270mm in FX mode, but the 28-300mm will work in FX mode.

What lens do you currently have with the D90? The 18-105 VR?

dnas May 9, 2009 3:25 AM

The Tamron 18-250mm with no built in focus motor is Model A18. This will not work with a D40, D40x, D60 or D5000, but will work with the D90, D80, and any of the Dx00 series.

Model A18N II has a focus motor and will work with the D40, D40x, D60 or D5000.

ride16 May 9, 2009 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebac (Post 967371)

What lens do you currently have with the D90? The 18-105 VR?

Thanks for the info - that helps a lot! The only lens I have right now is a Nikon 50mm f/1.4.

thebac May 12, 2009 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ride16 (Post 967559)
Thanks for the info - that helps a lot! The only lens I have right now is a Nikon 50mm f/1.4.

That's funny, the lens I started out with on my D70 was just a 50/1.8.

If your concern is mainly the telephoto performance, have you considered a Nikon 70-300 VR? It's comparable in price to the Tamron 18-270 VC. Of course you're missing out on the wide end, but it's longer than the Tamron and will give you better performance.

You could later supplement it with an 18-55 (VR on non-VR) fairly cheaply.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:56 PM.