Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   Will these lenses work on D50 body?? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/will-these-lenses-work-d50-body-108508/)

bedde Dec 7, 2006 10:01 AM

Need some help with this.

I found someone who has a NIKON F2 film SLR body with the following lenses: (these were stored away for a long time)
- Nikon 50mm/1.4 serial: 2967121
- Nikon 55mm/3.5 serial: 855424
- Vivitar 28mm/2.5 Auto Wide Angle
- Vivitar Series 1 Macro focusing 70-210mm/3.5

Anyone have any idea what type these these lenses are and if they will also work on the D50 body or any Nikon DSLR body??
Thanks in advance for your replies,

rjseeney Dec 7, 2006 10:17 AM

Are these autofocus or manual lenses?? If they are AF, yes they will work (unless they are AI lenses, in which case they will only work manually).

BillP2R Dec 7, 2006 10:31 AM

The Nikon 50mm/1.4 and Vivitar 28mm/2.5 that I have are prong indexed manual focusing lenses that I had converted to AI back in the day.

I suspect the lenses that bedde is asking about are the same.

(I sure wish Nikon would have programmed the D80 to let the meter work with these lenses as they did on the D200.)

------------------------ Bill

bedde Dec 8, 2006 5:42 AM

I think that all the lenses are manual lenses.
They all have a seperate aperture- and focus ring, and don't have the A/M switch you would normally see on AF-lenses.....

So do you think these lenses will work on the D50 body???
I have checked the D50 manual and Nikon's support site, but I am not sure I understand that fully (newbie here)...
It would surely safe me some $$$ because I could borrow these lenses.

And another thing why I want to know these lenses would work for sure is because I don't want to damage the D50.....

So any help would be appreciated.

BillP2R Dec 8, 2006 7:33 AM

According to the D50 manual (page 107), non-CPU AI lenses can be used in M(anual) mode, but you have to set the f-stop on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera based on your own guestimate (e.g. the sunny 16 rule) or use a separate exposure meter.

If your lenses do not have AI capability and you really want to use them, they can be converted to AI.

(I had mine converted back in 1980 at a cost of $15 each.)

----------------------- Bill

triplesea Dec 10, 2006 9:07 AM

I also have a couple older Nikkor lenses from my Nikon F from 1967 that I am thinking of using on a newer Nikon dSLR. You mention that they would work in manual mode if converted to AI. Since I don't wish to make any modifications to them will they not work at all?

Thanks!

bedde Dec 12, 2006 12:15 PM

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:

According to the D50 manual (page 107), non-CPU AI lenses can be used in M(anual) mode, but you have to set the f-stop on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera based on your own guestimate (e.g. the sunny 16 rule) or use a separate exposure meter.

If your lenses do not have AI capability and you really want to use them, they can be converted to AI.

(I had mine converted back in 1980 at a cost of $15 each.)

----------------------- Bill
BillP2R,

Will the lenses I mentioned not work at all unless they are converted??

BillP2R Dec 12, 2006 2:11 PM

I don't know the answer to the question about using non-AI non-CPU lenses.

Nikon's manual does not address those lenses.

Perhaps you can contact Nikon's tech support to ask them directly.

------------------------------- Bill

JimC Dec 12, 2006 2:41 PM

You should not attempt to mount a non-AI lens on your D50.

You can damage your camera if you try to mount them (you can bend the AI Coupling lever for one thing).

Even if you convert them to AI (which makes them safe to mount), you won't have any metering with a non-CPU lens on a D50.

Lens types that can and cannot be used on a D50

Here's an answer that may help you determine the lens types you have:

Differences between AI and non-AI Lenses

bedde Dec 15, 2006 9:40 AM

Hello all,

Need some help with this.

I found someone who has a NIKON F2 film SLR body with the following lenses: (these were stored away for a long time)
- Nikon 50mm/1.4 serial: 2967121
- Nikon 55mm/3.5 serial: 855424
- Vivitar 28mm/2.5 Auto Wide Angle
- Vivitar Series 1 Macro focusing 70-210mm/3.5

Anyone have any idea what type these these lenses are and if they will also work safley on the D50 body without damaging it??

It would be great if they could work on the D50 because I can borrow them and practice with them. Would save me a few $$$$ which I can save to buy some other types of lenses.....