Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   Will these lenses work on D50 body?? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/will-these-lenses-work-d50-body-108508/)

bedde Dec 7, 2006 10:01 AM

Need some help with this.

I found someone who has a NIKON F2 film SLR body with the following lenses: (these were stored away for a long time)
- Nikon 50mm/1.4 serial: 2967121
- Nikon 55mm/3.5 serial: 855424
- Vivitar 28mm/2.5 Auto Wide Angle
- Vivitar Series 1 Macro focusing 70-210mm/3.5

Anyone have any idea what type these these lenses are and if they will also work on the D50 body or any Nikon DSLR body??
Thanks in advance for your replies,

rjseeney Dec 7, 2006 10:17 AM

Are these autofocus or manual lenses?? If they are AF, yes they will work (unless they are AI lenses, in which case they will only work manually).

BillP2R Dec 7, 2006 10:31 AM

The Nikon 50mm/1.4 and Vivitar 28mm/2.5 that I have are prong indexed manual focusing lenses that I had converted to AI back in the day.

I suspect the lenses that bedde is asking about are the same.

(I sure wish Nikon would have programmed the D80 to let the meter work with these lenses as they did on the D200.)

------------------------ Bill

bedde Dec 8, 2006 5:42 AM

I think that all the lenses are manual lenses.
They all have a seperate aperture- and focus ring, and don't have the A/M switch you would normally see on AF-lenses.....

So do you think these lenses will work on the D50 body???
I have checked the D50 manual and Nikon's support site, but I am not sure I understand that fully (newbie here)...
It would surely safe me some $$$ because I could borrow these lenses.

And another thing why I want to know these lenses would work for sure is because I don't want to damage the D50.....

So any help would be appreciated.

BillP2R Dec 8, 2006 7:33 AM

According to the D50 manual (page 107), non-CPU AI lenses can be used in M(anual) mode, but you have to set the f-stop on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera based on your own guestimate (e.g. the sunny 16 rule) or use a separate exposure meter.

If your lenses do not have AI capability and you really want to use them, they can be converted to AI.

(I had mine converted back in 1980 at a cost of $15 each.)

----------------------- Bill

triplesea Dec 10, 2006 9:07 AM

I also have a couple older Nikkor lenses from my Nikon F from 1967 that I am thinking of using on a newer Nikon dSLR. You mention that they would work in manual mode if converted to AI. Since I don't wish to make any modifications to them will they not work at all?

Thanks!

bedde Dec 12, 2006 12:15 PM

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:

According to the D50 manual (page 107), non-CPU AI lenses can be used in M(anual) mode, but you have to set the f-stop on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera based on your own guestimate (e.g. the sunny 16 rule) or use a separate exposure meter.

If your lenses do not have AI capability and you really want to use them, they can be converted to AI.

(I had mine converted back in 1980 at a cost of $15 each.)

----------------------- Bill
BillP2R,

Will the lenses I mentioned not work at all unless they are converted??

BillP2R Dec 12, 2006 2:11 PM

I don't know the answer to the question about using non-AI non-CPU lenses.

Nikon's manual does not address those lenses.

Perhaps you can contact Nikon's tech support to ask them directly.

------------------------------- Bill

JimC Dec 12, 2006 2:41 PM

You should not attempt to mount a non-AI lens on your D50.

You can damage your camera if you try to mount them (you can bend the AI Coupling lever for one thing).

Even if you convert them to AI (which makes them safe to mount), you won't have any metering with a non-CPU lens on a D50.

Lens types that can and cannot be used on a D50

Here's an answer that may help you determine the lens types you have:

Differences between AI and non-AI Lenses

bedde Dec 15, 2006 9:40 AM

Hello all,

Need some help with this.

I found someone who has a NIKON F2 film SLR body with the following lenses: (these were stored away for a long time)
- Nikon 50mm/1.4 serial: 2967121
- Nikon 55mm/3.5 serial: 855424
- Vivitar 28mm/2.5 Auto Wide Angle
- Vivitar Series 1 Macro focusing 70-210mm/3.5

Anyone have any idea what type these these lenses are and if they will also work safley on the D50 body without damaging it??

It would be great if they could work on the D50 because I can borrow them and practice with them. Would save me a few $$$$ which I can save to buy some other types of lenses.....

bedde Dec 15, 2006 9:46 AM

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:

I don't know the answer to the question about using non-AI non-CPU lenses.

Nikon's manual does not address those lenses.

Perhaps you can contact Nikon's tech support to ask them directly.

------------------------------- Bill

I did send an email to Nikon Support. The following was their reply:

"Hi Brian,

See the following link for more information on using older lenses on your D50.

Title: What lenses can I use with the D100, D80, D70s, D70, or D50?
URL: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...ted=1029163096
Thanks for using Nikon products! Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com
"
So I used the url they provided, but couldn't make out if these lenses could be used safely. I am new to all of this, and the info provided on the page seamed to be in a very strange language to me.... :-):(

So I am still wondering if they can be used safely on the D50.
It would sure safe me a couple of $$$$$ because I can borrow these lenses to practice, and then when I am ready for it purchased some other types of lenses (maybe 18-200VR) with the saved $$$$.

JimC Dec 15, 2006 9:50 AM

That's the same link I gave you in my last post to this thread. ;)

If you look at the other link I gave you (also on Nikon's support site), it shows you how to look at the lenses to try and determine if they are AI or not (and you don't want to try to mount non-AI lenses on your cameras as you can damage it).

JimC Dec 15, 2006 10:16 AM

I merged the two separate threads on this subject into one thread, since you're asking the same questions again.

It's unlikely that anyone will know by the serial numbers if your lenses are AI or not. If they do, they'll respond. Starting a new thread with the same questions isn't going to get faster or better responses. ;-)

You're probably going to need to *look* at them and see if they are AI or not. See the second link to Nikon's support site I gave you in my earlier post that has pictures of what to look for:

Quote:

You should not attempt to mount a non-AI lens on your D50.

You can damage your camera if you try to mount them (you can bend the AI Coupling lever for one thing).

Even if you convert them to AI (which makes them safe to mount), you won't have any metering with a non-CPU lens on a D50.

Lens types that can and cannot be used on a D50

Here's an answer that may help you determine the lens types you have:

Differences between AI and non-AI Lenses

If they are not AI lenses, don't try to mount them (as you can damage your camera unless they're converted to AI).

Here are some more photos that may help you. If you click a smaller image, you'll get a bigger one:

http://aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

More pictures:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

JimC Dec 15, 2006 10:50 AM

Even more pictures that you may find helpful.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ount/aiais.htm

Another Hint....

If the lenses were manufactured before 1977 and haven't been modified, they are not AI (Nikon didn't introduce AI lenses until 1977), and they should not be used without converting them to AI (or you'll risk damage to the camera).

bedde Dec 15, 2006 11:29 AM

Thanks for the urls.

I have printed out the information and will check these lenses when I go home.
I will probably also post some pics of these lenses so that we all can take a look at them.

Thanks again.

JimC Dec 15, 2006 12:28 PM

With a little luck, they'll be AI.

But, keep in mind that you won't have metering with an older non-CPU lens on a D50, even if they are AI. Nikon doesn't turn on the meter with non-CPU lenses in it's entry level DSLR models (the least expensive current Nikon DSLR model that can meter with non-CPU AI lenses is the D200).

So, you'll be shooting "blind" (estimating the ISO speed, shutter speed and aperture combination needed) unless you have a separate light meter (or want to use another camera's meter) to help you out with settings. You'll find a lot of exposure charts around the net that can help with starting points for settings.

IOW, you can probably expect some trial and error for a given lighting condition to get the settings just right (and your histogram and playback features can help you see how your settings are working for any adjustments needed for a given shot). Shooting raw will give you a bit more exposure latitude for correction later, too (as long as you don't underexpose too much, or overexpose losing highlights).

bedde Dec 22, 2006 9:42 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have made a printout of all the urls you gave, but still get confused with what is said.

I also have made a couple of pictures of all of the lenses, but keep forgetting my USB stick at home. So I guess I will post them after the Christmas holidays. Hope you don't mind.

Before I forget, is there anything in particular of the lenses that you need to see??

Happy holidays to you and yours.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...pyHolidays.jpg

Telecorder Dec 22, 2006 10:27 AM

Bedde-

You might try looking up your lenses' serial numbers here--

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

to get an idea of their capabilities...

bedde Dec 22, 2006 11:19 AM

Hi Telecorder,

Thanks for the url.

According to the site the two Nikors are type K (New Nikkors, Late pre-Ai lenses (1974)) lenses. Does this mean they can be safely used on the D50 body??

Do you also have an url where I can find out if the Vivitar lenses can also be use safely on the D50 body??

Telecorder Dec 22, 2006 11:31 AM

Can't help on the Vivitar but you may want to read up on the Nikon versions at:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm

Can't/don't want to comment and confirm whether the lenses in question would be compatible with your D50. Usually, the issue is whether the lens will have an issue with a teleconverter due to the rear lens extending behind the lens body hitting against the front lens of the TC.

Mounting a lens onto the body usually has more to do with the communication or lack of between the lens and the body. I believe most all earlier Nikon lens will mount, though. I'd suggest posting your inquiry over at Nikonians...

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

JimC Dec 22, 2006 11:33 AM

bedde wrote:
Quote:

According to the site the two Nikors are type K (New Nikkors, Late pre-Ai lenses (1974)) lenses. Does this mean they can be safely used on the D50 body??
No, it means you can damage your camera if you try to mount them unless they're converted to AI. ;-)

Look at the photos in some of the links posted. You'll see lots of clues of how to tell if lenses are AI or not (holes in rabbit ears or not, etc.). If they are not AI, you don't want to try mounting them. AI lenses were not even introduced until 1977.

bedde Jan 25, 2007 6:05 AM

Hello all,

Let me start by wishing you all the best in this new year.

It has been a while since my last post.
I have some great news about the manual lenses; they all work on my D50.
Thank you all for the provided information.

After reading the articles a number of times, carefull inspections of the body, the kit lens and manual lenses and numerous times of hesitations, I finally decided to carefully mount one of the manual lenses (the 50mm). I couldn't see anything that could damage the body or contacts except for the "lever" at the back of the manual lens. This "lever" was not different from the kit lens, so I thought it would be safe to mount. The mounting was a little stiff, but I didn't force it. After the manual lens had been mounted I looked if I could turn the Aperture ring both ways. This also seemed to be stiff, so I took it out and examined it. Turned out that this ring was stiff unmounted also.
I then mounted the 55mm micro NIKOR and checked to see if the Aperture ring on this lens was also stiff when mounted. Turned out to be working perfectly.

Then came the next step, where I was praying not to have something go wrong; turning on the camera. Once turned on I saw nothing that indicated a failure of any kind. Oh yeah, before turning on the camera I turned the bodyswitch to M and the dial to M.

Then came the next step: taking shots.
I must say that for a newbie and coming from a P&S world, it was a puzzle. I had to play with the Aperture and Shutterspeed setting to get a well exposed picture.
I guess that when you guys say that the camera won't meter, you also mean that you can't do any EV compensation. I have noticed that a lot of options in the menu are disabled also when using manual lenses.

I have included a picture taken with the NIKOR Micro 55mm.
It is from one of those dolls you get when buying a Happy Meal at McDonalds; I believe it's called "Sharkboy". :G

C&C are welcome and feel free to enhance this image to give me an idea of what it should look like optimized after PP.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...e/Sharkboy.jpg

I have yet to post pictures of these lenses, so others who also own or think of buying manual lenses could benefit from this thread. I hope to post the pics coming week, because of a sudden busy workschedule.

Again thanks for all your support and the provided information.