Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:37 PM   #1
pin

Hi

Newbie post, so please be gentle.

First of, would like to say this is a great website and forum, have found it very useful.

I presently have a Nikon D50 with a Sigma 18-200mm DC lens. Both the camera and lens are great.

I'm going to be coming to the states (New York) soon and would like to take advantage of the strong pound sterling to pick up a lens or two while I'm over.

I was wondering which would be a good lens to buy without breaking the bank.

I generally take scenic shots and shots of people. I also use my camera to take shots for ebay auctions.

I guess the question is what sort of lens (or lenses) should I be thinking about getting?

Would I wanting to be getting a prime lens? Any other lens?

Also how much should I be considering spending?

Last question (I promise!) where would be the best place in New York city to pick up the lens.

If these questions have already been asked or I can find the information easily somewhere else (I have tried, but without success) I do apologise, but could someone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for any help that can be provided.
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:18 PM   #2
rey

The 18-200 focal length is pretty versatile, so unless you need a longer or wider reach, I don't know what else you would need.

If you find yourself needing a wider lens, you may checkout Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24.

The 50mm F/1.8 is a favorite prime, but you may also consider getting an external flash instead, especially for small-item eBay stuff. You may also consider getting lighting equipment, like a diffuser dome, or something similar, depending on how big the stuff you sell on ebay are.

For place to buy, there's probably no better place in NY than B&H (bhphotovideo.com). Be sure to check their website for prices.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:54 AM   #3
pin

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I have actually been to B&H once a few years back!
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:02 AM   #4

pin wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Newbie post, so please be gentle.

First of, would like to say this is a great website and forum, have found it very useful.

I presently have a Nikon D50 with a Sigma 18-200mm DC lens. Both the camera and lens are great.

I'm going to be coming to the states (New York) soon and would like to take advantage of the strong pound sterling to pick up a lens or two while I'm over.

I was wondering which would be a good lens to buy without breaking the bank.

I generally take scenic shots and shots of people. I also use my camera to take shots for ebay auctions.

I guess the question is what sort of lens (or lenses) should I be thinking about getting?

There are so many. Each with its own characteristics. At least with the 18-200, you can get an idea of what focal length you like to shoot at. With faster lenses(wide apertures) you will have more flexibility with things like depth of field control and low/available light shooting.

Would I wanting to be getting a prime lens? Any other lens?

Prime lenses are the more affordable than 2.8 zooms, but arguably less flexible. The 35mm f/2 is great general purpose prime lens. It has a very fast aperture, it renders color and contrast very well, it is extremely lightweight, and it won't break the bank.
The 50mm 1.8 speaks for itself.
The 85 1.8 is a great lens for head/shoulder shots or as a short tele.
The 180 2.8 is very sharp and a used version is a great value.
There are others but these are the basics... affordable with excellent reputations and image quality.

Fast zooms are $$$, but for nikon a 35-70 2.8 or an older 80-200 2.8 represent the bang/buck options.
In my opinion, of course.

Also how much should I be considering spending?

That is not something I can tell you, but from experience it is usually better to save for the better lens. You will save from selling and upgrading later. On the other hand, If you save too long you may miss valuable opportunities.

Last question (I promise!) where would be the best place in New York city to pick up the lens.

If these questions have already been asked or I can find the information easily somewhere else (I have tried, but without success) I do apologise, but could someone point me in the right direction.

Thats what forums are all about. If anyone ever tells you not to waste space or time, then he forgets his/her beginnings.
http://www.nikonlinks.com has a lot of general info. also,
photo.net
dpreview.com
nikonians.org

Many thanks for any help that can be provided.
matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote