Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:52 PM   #1

Due to the overwhelming response I got to my post:"Nikor 28-80MM F3.3-4.5 G kit lens" (zero replies) I am starting a new more specific thread question. I did a little independent research and found that the DX designation means "for digital cameras" with the 1.5x35mm filmcrop factor? A friend of mine has a Nikor 24-85mm G ED AF-S lens that he let me try on his Nikon D200. He tells me that the G designation without the DX is basically a 35mm film lens that works fine on digital SLR's The AF-S designation is for auto-focus "silent" zoom motor? ED is some sort of E...?.. Dispersion elements that reduces chromatic aberration? So my questions:

The lens I have in mind only has a G designation. What will I notice most about not having the ED (E...?.. Dispersion) elements. Is chromatic abberation the same as purple finging in high contrast areas?

Will I notice any difference in quality between the 28-80mm G vs the 18-55MM kit lens?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
rey

Here are a couple of sites for Nikon nomenclature:

EDIT: Dang'it somehow my post didn't post... hold on, let me type that again...

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Due to the overwhelming response I got to my post:"Nikor 28-80MM F3.3-4.5 G kit lens" (zero replies) I am starting a new more specific thread question. I did a little independent research and found that the DX designation means "for digital cameras" with the 1.5x35mm filmcrop factor? A friend of mine has a Nikor 24-85mm G ED AF-S lens that he let me try on his Nikon D200. He tells me that the G designation without the DX is basically a 35mm film lens that works fine on digital SLR's The AF-S designation is for auto-focus "silent" zoom motor? ED is some sort of E...?.. Dispersion elements that reduces chromatic aberration? So my questions:

The lens I have in mind only has a G designation. What will I notice most about not having the ED (E...?.. Dispersion) elements. Is chromatic abberation the same as purple finging in high contrast areas?

Will I notice any difference in quality between the 28-80mm G vs the 18-55MM kit lens?
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:01 AM   #3
rey

The G designation actually means the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm

I can't compare the 18-55 and 28-80 as I don't have them both, but I know that D50 with 28-80 is a recent package Nikon put out to cut cost. I have the 18-55 and happy with it. The wide end makes a big difference.

As far as where to buy, checkout Cameta. They have tons of D50 packages, but make sure you look for "New" designation, as they also sell refurbs (unless you want refurbs).

Cameta's D50 Packages

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote