Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I will be purchasing a new piece of glass soon and was wondering if any of you had any experience with these two. I may purchase 1.4 or 1.7 converter for the 70 - 200. Has anyone used both of these? What are the quality of photo differences between the two? Is there a zoom point beyond which either one becomes soft?

Noticed it cut off the second lens description.. it is a
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens
vs.
Nikon 80-400mm f4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor.

All comments welcome.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:10 PM   #2

Does anyone own either of these? Anyone tried them on a D200?

I did not think this was going to be a no response question *S*

Bill
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:42 PM   #3

Hey Amigo, I was waiting for a comparison as well, but I guess that's not a happening thing. I can only speak on the 80-400. We have 2 of these, on D70s's,and while it hunts a little in low light, I think it worth it's weight in gold. Hand held at 400 mm? It works good. Turn the VR off for tripod work. Buzzsaw has some very good samples of hummers in the wildlife posting section. Maintains that the sweetspot is around 300 mm. I think he shoots now with the D200. I hope this helps.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:09 AM   #4

Well here is someone who has one and tried the other and also has a selection of TC converters.

There is no comparison between the 80/400 and the 70/400 at all if the purpose of your purchase is action photography. I use the 70/200 with the TC14E and 17E for motor racing photography and underneath you'll find a shot of Wayne Gardner at Goodwood using the 70/200 and the TC14Ejust to give you some idea of quality. Using the 14E you'll lose one stop and the 17E 1.5 stops but please don't consider buying the 20E since it loses two stops and makes the lens hunt too much. Without doubt it is a wonderfully versatile set up for reasonably close and long range shots, although I also carry the 200/400 for further away. I find that the quality of the lens is sharp throughout and that this is without doubt one of Nikon's finest lenses of recent years - and I have 25 yrs of Nikon experience.

The 80/400 is a consumer lens and the problem is that it isn't a Silent Wave motorised lens so the focusing is painfully slow and you'll miss most shots waiting for the lens to focus. Go here for a review of this lens, a review carried out independently since he buys his own kit:-

http://www.bythom.com/80400VRlens.htm

There is a vast difference in price but it is worth it, believe me. However, if static shots are your thing then the 80/400 would suffice I reckon and save you a packet of money too. I just think that no matter what the quality of the 70/200 merits its purchase for the creamy bokeh when used for portraiture to its tack sharp images at distance, with or without a converter.

Hope this helps
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:12 AM   #5

Sorry, I tried to attach the full file and not the low resolution one. Hope this gets through this time!
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanks very much for your input. I was already leaning toward the 70-200 and well I guess I wanted some confirmation. You have given it.

Bill
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Thanks very much for your input. I was already leaning toward the 70-200 and well I guess I wanted some confirmation. You have given it.

Bill
Can't go wrong with the 70-200 f/2.8. As a matter a fact I'd say it's a "must own" lens. Take a look at the test here at http://www.slrgear.com. It got a perfect 10 across the board. Build, performance...

As for pricing it's actually not that far apart. At least here in Canada. I believe the price difference is only $300.00 CAD. Soas for how much can be saved, at least for us Canucks,wouldn't really bea consideration here. And as one of the others said I too think it comes down to what kind of shooting you do. Do you just need a relatively affordable lens with the range of the 80-400mm? Will you just be shooting static shots? Will you need the lens to make a living with? If you're looking for an all around killer tele-zoom that's Made in Japan then I'd go with the 70-200mm f/2.8 hands down!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:58 AM   #8

I have been shooting at the MotoGP this year with a borrowed 80-400 VR and Nikon D200.... I was so impressed with the lens and camera.. I went out and bought my own.

Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:42 AM   #9

I'm afraid your photo just proves the point here - it is out of focus because the lens can't keep up with the speed of the bikes, and these are only 125cc or250cc ones from the look of it, not the mighty fast 500's. Only the last of the four riders is in focus! The 80/400 just can't keepup sinceit is so painfully slow.

No, spend the extra cash and get the 70/200 - you won't regret it Curmudgeon.