Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:58 AM   #1

hey there folks....

looking at this lens and it looks liek good value for money...

any of u have some experince with this lens???

cheers for now.

Bryce
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2

a friend i occasionally shoot with has it, he says he likes it allot
its not the sharpest lens wide open, so expect some softness at 300mm and 5.6. also expect low contrast images.
there's not allot of chromic abberations, so thats good.

its a great lens, especially for the price, but it doesnt beat an expensive 2.8 zoom

chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:26 PM   #3

Optically it is very good. From 70-250 it is sharp wide open. I mean really good, close to lenses that cost five times as much.

Where it is a let down is in the package. Autofocus is very slow and very noisy. It is also not that accurate and I get quite a few missed shots at long focal length and wide aperture because the af didn't quite get it right. I think a lot of people complain that this lens isn't sharp because of this but it's not so. When the focus is spot on the lens is really sharp.
Manual focus is crappy too, as you have to turn the ring only a tiny distance to change the focus completely - it's very hard to get it right. As I tend to shoot near wide open the shallow d.o.f. really exagerates poor focusing making for some frustration. As it's a slow lens you will either shoot near wide open often, or will shoot off a tripod. This lens is not so good for walking around and snapping away for that reason.
The lens extends a mile at full zoom and is very light so it's not that stable and probably sucks in a lot of dust (haven't noticed any yet though).
On the plus side it does come with a nice padded pouch and a hood.

I consider this a lens that requires a bit of work to get good results. If you take the time to make sure the focus is spot on you can take shots with this that will blow you away. On a tripod and stopped down it is fantastic. If you just snap away you will get a lot of missed shots and your opinion of it will fall. If this is you, look at the canon IS instead. For the money, it is absolutely fantastic though!
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:59 AM   #4
NHL

jacks wrote:
Quote:
Autofocus is very slow and very noisy. It is also not that accurate...
There's a major difference between the Canon version and the Nikon though:
The Canon's noise comes from the motor in the lens, but on the Nikon it should be no diifferent that what the body's AF motor makes with any other lenses... It's accuracy also depends from the stepping motor inside the body and not the lens!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:15 AM   #5

thanks for the replies guys.....

i see some mixed feelings bout the lens yet still a positive note to end it off...

i think ill go play with it a bit at a camera shop first....

thanks again for ur time.

Bryce

(South Africa)
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:54 PM   #6

The macro is for real if you don't mind being about 95cm from the subject! This does allow for using the built in or external flash for illumination however, which eliminates any shake. External flash being up higher gives more natural, less flat lighting.

Use manual mode and set shutter speed and aperture to give a dark background.

The half life size result is perfect for most flowers and larger bugs or smaller creatures.

My best results with macro are between f/8 and f/16.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:07 AM   #7

thanks for the Reply BOB...ill def check that out before i buy one....

appreciate the post....

cheers for now.

Bryce