Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:47 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have recently moved over from film to DSLR and miss having a superwide angle (I had the 20mm f2.8 for film and 18mm now on the kit lens). I liked my 20mm for landscapes with film, maybe the occasional building, but mainly landscapes. I have deen contemplating the wide angle zooms 12-24, 10-20 etc, but wondered if a fisheye (10.5mm or Sigma 15mm) would be a better choice, or is the effect too distinctive to be used enough? I have seen plenty of impressive fisheye pictures of landscapes & trees & plants, the sorts of things I like to use a wide angle for. Also, while the curvature is not always the effect you might like, neither is the stretching of close objects near the edge of the frame with a rectilinear lens.

I guess in an ideal world you would have both, but even one of those choices is expensive so I need to decide. I would appreaciate any suggestions, particularly from anyone who has used both wide angles and fisheyes for nature/landscapes.

Thanks.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:53 AM   #2

This won't be the exact answer your looking for, But I bought the Sigma 10-20mm a couple weeks back, And in my opinion its not a landscape lens at all.

UNLESS somehow what you are standing on "completes the picture" All you will get is a lot of empty space (or worse, Busy space) under and over the mountain range / ocean / lake / whatever. (to get the width it pulls in a lot of height even for a 3/4's shot)
the distortion effect doesn't matter for Landscapes though, Especially at 13-14mm where it would equal your old 20mm.

Personally I bought the lens for its crazy distortion of close objects in relation to far ones (Sports / Motocross) for when I can get close enough to the riders. It creates some really cool looking pictures,.

But what I'm getting at, Is the best way to fit "more" into a landscape shot is to stitch them together in a panoramic. If you can find a good focal length lens without any barrel distiortion. Taking 2 or 3 pictures (or more even, I've done up to 55 picture stitchings). And it will fit everything in with more detail and none of that bubbling effect.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. It is a while since I have used my old 20mm on film, but one thing I do remember (now you have said it) is the problem of too much height for the width. Due to the lack of a superwide on digital I have been managing with stitching panoramas and have some great ones, but they take time and care to photograph and some effort to stitch, so I would like to get my landscapes in one shot if I can. How do you like the 10-20? That is also on my shortlist, partly for buildings/city work (the Nikon is far too expensive).

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:37 PM   #4

I absolutely LOVE the sigma 10-20mm, IF you can get close enough its an amazing lens, The distortion is fun to use for "artsy" shots, And for sports its Autofocus is really fast, and you can manually overide it Easily (Its clutch AF system was a bonus cause i didn't think it had it).

I commonly use it wide open at 10mm and you do get minor dark edges (left and right) And the sharpness leaves something to be desired (Its MTF charts show this even)
but It was what I expected to get that 15mm.

heres a sample pic Taken with the sb-600 and ISO 1600, F5, 11mm focal length, 1/500
Attached Images

Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote