Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:48 PM   #1

Hey guys, I am about to pull the trigger on a D80 (body only). I wanted to get some input on what you guys think I should do about lenses. Here is what the camera will be mainly used for:

I am married with 3 children, so the bulk of the photos will be for vacations, b-days, sports (soccer, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, etc.) and portraits of the family.

I am wanting a good "all in one" lens for vacations and things, so I am leaning toward the 18-200mm VR. I think that this lens will also serve me well for outdoor sports. However, I am also looking at some primes, especially for the indoor sports with poor lighting (ie basketball and gymnastics). I will also be using the primes for portraits of the family. Right now, I am looking at the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (I think that this is an easy call for the price) and the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. However, I am wondering if these two will be enough. (Will the 85mm be enough for the indoor sports since cropping shouldn't be an issue with the D80, and will I need something wider than the 50mm for family portraits?)

(My budget is around $2500 for the camera and lenses.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...
tgaines14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:19 PM   #2

The three lenses you mention are a good starting point. You could in reality use the 18-200 for portraits in place of a wider prime for those group shots, as you will be shooting at a smaller aperature to insure everyone is in focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #3

Thanksrjseeney...

Do you think that the 85mm will be okay for the indoor sports, or is there a better option (ie. 105mm or 135mm)?
tgaines14 is offline   Reply With Quote