Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

i have had my nikon 18-200 lens for about 3 months and am noticing a few specks of dust on the inside of the front lens , is this a normal condition ?This lens has not been used in what would be considered a dirty enviroment. I see no evidence of the dust on photos. Would this be an issue that should be rectified under warranty or is this considered a result of normal use
Thanks in advance Calvin
gilly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2

Hi Calvin,

I don't think there should be any dust inside of any lens. I would call Nikon if it was mine. The thing is that if dust can get in, so can moisture.

Ronnie.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:41 PM   #3

I contacted Nikon and here is there response -

" actually because of dust issues with DSLR bodies the lens have been designed to allow air flow through them . This way when the lens is attached to the camera it does not force all the air out the back of the lens on to the CCD . This helps us keep the camera system as clean as possible and keep dust off the CCD so it does not effect the image quality. All zoom lenses are a similiar type of design and if dust gets inside the lens it will not effect your image quality at all "
Whats your thoughts about this response ?
Regards Calvin
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

The actual dust particles won't affect the image as they wouldn't be near the plane of focus. However it may cause flare if the lens is pointed at a strong light source. Think of driving into the sun with a dirty windshield. The effect would depend on the amount of dust and may actually be masked by flare in the lens from other sources.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:50 AM   #5

Thanks BOB - I was at the photograghy show at the international center yesterday (Toronto) and checked out some of the lens at the nikon display. Even the pro lens had dust in them if you looked close . This does not make me feel better but it makes me accept the fact that this is normal. Is a good show if you have not been there yet lots to see . Regards Calvin Gilholm