Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:30 AM   #1

I'm going to buy a D80 in a few months, and am now trying to determine which lenses to buy with it.

I'm going to use the camera for landscape and wildlife mostly, so I'll need to get zooms that include 28mm (35mm equiv) and around a 400-500 (35mm equiv).

One of the best deals on the D80 I have found is at Cameta Camera, an Ebay store. They have the body and:

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG

Sigma 70-300 f/f-5.6 DGMacro

plus other accessories.

The D80 multiplication factor would take the 70-300 to 105-450, close enough for wildlife.

My question: Are these Sigmas Outstanding, Good, Fair, or Marginal as far as sharpness and build quality?

If these are not good choices, I could just buy the D80 body and shop for Nikon glass. Budget is a consideration, with a total of around $1500 for the whole setup.

Cameta does have another pkg deal with the body and the Nikon 18-70mm AF-S DX f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF for 1,200. Would my remaining 300 be enough to get a zoom long enough for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kodak69
Kodak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2

You may find the 28-70 a bit too wide for landscape purposes (42mm on the wide end, 35mm equiv). The 18-70 kit lens is generally well regarded and you should be able to still find an inexpensive 70-300. I own a tamron 200-400, which is a solid (if unremarkable lens) that can be had used for around $250. Be aware, for any long tele, unless you're in very bright light, you'll need a good sturdy tripod.

The Sigma lenses you mention are just fair, really no better or worse than other lenses you'll find at that price point. Remember though, the D80 has a lot of resolving power, and any shortcomings with your lenses will become more apparent. I've noticed this with some of my cheaper lenses paired with my D80 in the week that I've had the camera. This body will really need good glass to get the most out of it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

Do you really mean a bit long? 28mm isn't very wide.

Keith.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
You may find the 28-70 a bit too wide for landscape purposes
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I'll probably go with the Nikon 18-70

Can you suggest a couple of good glass choices in the 400-500 effective focal length (35mm equiv) for the D80 for around $3-400?

Thanks,

kodak69
Kodak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:53 PM   #5

keith1200rs wrote:
Quote:
Do you really mean a bit long? 28mm isn't very wide.

Keith.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
You may find the 28-70 a bit too wide for landscape purposes
Oops....should have said too long, or not wide enough.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:28 PM   #6

"Remember though, the D80 has a lot of resolving power, and any shortcomings with your lenses will become more apparent. I've noticed this with some of my cheaper lenses paired with my D80 in the week that I've had the camera. This body will really need good glass to get the most out of it."

I have seen the same. Thanks for pointing this out

Rick
starriderrick is offline   Reply With Quote