Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 26, 2007, 1:42 PM   #11

Quote:
JohnG wrote:
Quote:
SigmaSD9 wrote:
Quote:
You can see the Sigma 70-200 has inferior sharpness especially wide open, plus poor color and contrast compared to the Canon 70-200 L. In addition the Sigma has lighter build quality and around 1/3rd the focus speed. I would stick with professional brand name lenses if you can, but if you can't the Sigma is a fine discount lens.

Sorry - this is hogwash. There is virtually no difference in IQ between the Sigma and the Canon or Nikon. The Canon will focus slightly faster in low light - but it is by no means 2/3 faster - that's just wrong.
The Sigma 70-200 EX is not on par with the Canon 70-200L. I provided full size controlled comparison samples, above.

As you can see, the Sigma is quite yellow in color (almost all Sigma lenses suffer from yellow color), lower in contrast, very slow to focus (the Sigma is takes about three times longer to focus), built relatively lightly, has a busier bokeh, is 1/2 stop dimmer at f/2.8, is too soft wide open and substantially softer stopped down. It is cheaper, however, though I don't think Sigma's discount makes up for their lower quality.
SigmaSD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:37 PM   #12

Sorry, my experiences shooting with both differ from yours. I stand by my statement and my photos - IQ is virtually no difference. Focus speed in good light is no difference. Focus speed in low light, slight edge goes to Canon. But it's only very slight. But people can judge for themselves based on the photos I've posted. Every bit as good as what I can get out of the Canon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 5:21 PM   #13

SigmaSD9 wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma 70-200 EX is not on par with the Canon 70-200L. I provided full size controlled comparison samples, above.
I fail to see the merit of your argument, this is the Nikon site. I have not used the nikon 70-200, but a friend of mine used one extensively for outdoor sports (high school baseball) in daylight and under lights, and much prefers the Sigma.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:17 PM   #14

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, my experiences shooting with both differ from yours. I stand by my statement and my photos - IQ is virtually no difference. Focus speed in good light is no difference. Focus speed in low light, slight edge goes to Canon. But it's only very slight. But people can judge for themselves based on the photos I've posted. Every bit as good as what I can get out of the Canon.

A few facts/observations from using both lens extensively side by side:

The Canon lens focuses in a little under 1/3rd the time under all conditions. Canon's USM motor is more powerful than Sigma's HSM motor.

The Canon L is much sharper wide open. The Sigma EX is too soft at f/2.8, it should carry an f/4 badge. Even Canon's f/4 version is sharper than the Sigma at f/4, plus it is less expensive.

The Canon L has a much heavier build

The Sigma EX's glass is noticably yellow cast, the Canon L is both more colorful and neutrally balanced.

Here is a controlled MLU f/5.6 test using SPP:

SigmaSD9 is offline   Reply With Quote