Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:31 AM   #1

Hi,

I was out the other day carrying out the usual experiments on a small waterfall and was amazed by the difference a filter can make (which a stranger was kind enough to lend).. of course i am naive~~

Can anyone suggest good filters? I went to BH and could see far too many. I find this on amazon ---->> Tiffen 52mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...223965?ie=UTF8

comments?

Also, while shooting at lower shutter speed.... naturally if the shutter is open for too long too much light is going to come in.. to compensate one can reduce the exposure (on d50 i think -5.0 is the end point) and manually override the aperture value.. are there any other way in which one can enhance the photo while shooting at lower shutter speeds?

Thanks.

ZchewereZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:32 AM   #2

I have just about stopped using filters, as most effects can be duplicated in post work (ie color enhancing, diffusion etc). The only two filters that are now useful in my mind are polarizing and nd/graduated nd filters. Polarizing filters enhnce blues and greens and remove reflections from water or windows etc. Nd filters reduce light entering the lens allowing for slower shutter speeds/and or larger aperatures to achieve desired effects in bright lights or to balance exposure.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:22 AM   #3

Thanks rjs..

I guess you are right.. but I feel aweful while doing the post-processing work... it keeps telling me how i should have shot!!
ZchewereZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:25 AM   #4

Nearly all images benefit from some post work, especially if you shoot RAW (which requires post work). DSLR's don't tune the image as much as P&S cameras (although you can tweak settings to allow the camera to do so) and will just about always need some sharpening. Digital editing has just simply replaced the photo finisher/darkroom. Your film images were edited just as much (although it wasn't you who was doing it, it was your photofinisher/lab)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:48 AM   #5

i agree on this, polarizers and nd filters. unless u want close up. starlight if u're into lights but polarizers n nds are a must.
clemong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 3:03 PM   #6

Well, the only filters I use on my lenses are UV. Mostly to protect from scratches/dust etc. And the only filter type I buy is Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Multicoated UV(0). It's very thin and provides ~100% light passage through the glass.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote