Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:57 PM   #1

I recently bought my first DSLR body and was under the impression from the Nikon compatiblity list that my two Sigma lensesthat I bought for my Pentax ZX-10would work for the D50 as well.It looks like the mount is incompatible.Is there any way to convert the mountmyself orsend it to aSigma repair shop? If not, would it be worthwhile trying to sell them?

Sigma 28-105 F3.8-5.6 UC-III Aspherical IF

Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DL Super Macro AF

Also, if I can't use them for the D50, would they be compatible with a Pentax DSLR?

I would also appreciate any reccomendations you would have as to paying more for one lens such as theSigma 18-200 verses a combination 28-80 and 70-300.

Thanks for your help.
chelles slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:42 AM   #2

Only Sigma lenses with the nikon mount will work on Nikon bodies. Sigma (or any other 3rd party lens, like Tamron, tokina, etc) lenses made for other bodies, like Pentax, Minolta,or Canon will not mount across camera manufacturers. I know of converters that will allow you to mount Canon lenses on Nikon bodies (and vice versa), but am not aware of converters for Pentax lenses (although I'm sure they exist). Be aware that these converters usually do not allow the camera to meter, and will prbably disable auto focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:37 PM   #3

rjseeney - I have a bunch of old canon lenses (I think known as "FD", from the A-1 erra. I now have Nikon digital stuff.

I was excited by your statement that you knew of addators to mount Canon lenses on Nikons !

Do you know a source for these?

Thanks.....
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:05 PM   #4

Before you get too excited, I don't think these adapters will work with older canon lenses. Check on Ebay....these adapters are fairly common, and you should be able to get more details as to what will and won't work.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5

Kita wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney - I have a bunch of old canon lenses (I think known as "FD", from the A-1 erra. I now have Nikon digital stuff.

I was excited by your statement that you knew of addators to mount Canon lenses on Nikons !

Do you know a source for these?

Thanks.....
Although i'm no expert on this, I have heard (And seen with my own 2 eyes) That Canon mounts are much bigger (wider) than Nikon mounts, And therefore the adapters are usually about 1- 1.5cm longer in length from the original Nikon mount position, Therefore throw off the focus depth and only work when focused to infinity I do believe.

Though i'm not an expert on this, this is what ive heard and seen.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote