Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:27 AM   #11

Doh! I went to Manhattan the whole day today and decided not to go there to avoid spending... I should've went. Hehe! Thanks for the heads up!

I got this shot though...

psilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:41 AM   #12
v12

Brian

nice pic! I just got a D50 with a kit lens as well and I having the exact predicament you are, I need better lenses!

Which one did you use to snap that shot? I took some test shots almost all came out crappy..think its user error though...
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:09 AM   #13

Not all of it was good... In fact, photoshop helped a lot because I can't understand how to get the correct exposure (that'll be on another thread).

But I guess I can blame the gloomy weather on most of them. :P

I just realized that in order to get a good lens (or any other equipment), invest on the real expensive ones. At least I know what to look for in a lens spec. It's an investment since you can use it on any camera body you buy in the future.

It's too late for me now to get into much details... I'll follow it up tomorrow. Yawn!

First shots are always crappy until you become one with your camera. Heheh!

Another one... Heavily photoshoped! Can you tell? I'd love it if I can get good shots out of the camera. (not by cheating with RAW and Photoshop.)

Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:41 AM   #14

Good morning! I used a Tamron 70-300mm on both photos. The kit lens is a bit short, the wide angle is okay but with a lot of distortion on the wide side.

I just hate it when I constantly change lenses yesterday. I think an overlap in focal length is better for me.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:36 PM   #15

Quote:
(not by cheating with RAW and Photoshop.)
This is NOT cheating. This is using the available resources to get the image you were looking for. Even in film days, there was a lot of manipulation going on in the darkroom to get the image "right". Even drugstore developers tune the image a bit to improve color and contrast. The truth is RAW gives you more leeway in exposure latitude to handle tough conditions.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:14 PM   #16

Okay, so that gave me a lot of comfort! The problem with me is that I've never handled film. My friends insists I train with him though. I might have to take that offer so I have a better understanding with regards to photography in general.

What I actually meant by cheating is that I keep on making mistakes with settings like leaving ISO set too high, which happened today, making all my photos very grainy. Sometimes I leave exposure compensation set too low, making all my shots very underexposed.

I'm learning everytime I go out though, giving me answers to all my previous questions like what accessories I should get (including lens) and what to avoid.