Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:40 PM   #1

I'm looking into getting a dSLR. I have it narrowed down between the Olympus E-Volt with the 2-lens kit or a Nikon body and an aftermarket lens.

The Nikon looks good because it has a faster autofocus with the factory lens, which I probably can't afford, so if I go with a Tamron or Sigma, will I still have that faster autofocus speed? Or would the autofocus speed be comparable to the Oly?
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:32 AM   #2

Every lens is different (not just manufacturer but each lens) so you have to decide exactly what one you are planning on purchasing.

I would definitely say get the Nikon because of the sensor size, Since the E-volt has a 2x focal multiplier (small sensor) compared to the 1.5x Nikon focal multiplier (bigger sensor = better quality pictures and lower noise at high ISO's)

and lenses are more common for Nikon (used, new, everything)

I have the
Sigma 18-200mm (alright autofocus, not really that fast)
nikon 18-55 (pretty quick)
nikon 50mm f1.8 (quick but noisy)
Sigma 10-20mm (fast and has a clutch manual overide!)
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
rey

Nikon focusing speed depends partly on the lens and body you use. For AF lenses, the body drives the focusing (there's a screw wedge on the lens that the camera can turn). Pro bodies have faster driver than say D50.

For AF-S lenses, the lens have a motor that drives the lens elements for faster focusing. Third party lens makers also have lenses that have these motors in-lens to focus faster. So check the lenses you want to buy. Not all Nikon lenses focus fast, I had the 70-300G, and it focuses slow.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:48 AM   #4

Nikon certainly has a well-deserved reputation, and I know I would be like a pig in mud with one, but price is a concern. And to be candid, I'm overwhelmed (read that, 'snowed under and flat-out bewildered') by all the Nikon alphabet soup lens options. Assuming that I win the lottery one fine day, could you recommend a model? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5

Go here for some idea what all the acronyms are.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm

Modern Nikon lenses primarily mix-and-match AF, AF-S, VR, ED, DX, and IF. Read up on those designations.

Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

Thanks...this is just what I need -- explains it very well.