Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:40 PM   #1

I just got a Nikon D50 with the kit lens (18-55) and I also have two (classic) SLR Nikons, an FM and an FE with 3 lenses: 2 Nikkor 35mm 1:2.8's and a Vivitar 70-150mm 1:3.8 auto zoom. My question is, can these lenses work with the D50 and how do I do this? I woild appreciate any help from the wise, articulate camera lovers out there, New to the column and learning a lot! Thriving Artist
thriving artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:28 AM   #2

Might want to try the Nikon lens forum. I'm sure someone there has the answer you're after.

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3
Administrator

Unless they're CPU type lenses, you won't be able to meter with them on a D50. If they're Autofocus, they'll work.

If they're newer AI (Auto Indexing) type lenses (introduced by Nikon in 1977), you can mount them. But, you won't be able to meter, even with AI lenses (you'd be shooting blind, setting aperture and shutter speed with no meter in the camera available on a D50). Do not attempt to mount non-AI lenses (they can damage your camera according to Nikon).

You'd actually have better luck usng them on a non-Nikon DSLR model, unless you want to move up to a higher end body like the D200 (and then you'd need to make sure they're AI lenses).

You can find services that convert them to AI if they're not. But, with a D50, you wouldn't have a meter. With a D200, the meter works with AI lenses.

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

You can get adapters for mounting older Nikon F Mount Lenses on some of the non-Nikon camera brands and meter stopped down. Sometimes you need to use adapters that have optical elements built in to focus to infinity. That's the way a KM DSLR works (you need to equivalent of a 1.2x TC built into the adapter to focus to infinity using one via an adapter).

B&H carries some of these (the General Brand adapters will allow focus to infinity based on reports I've seen from KM DSLR owners). They usually have one that lets you use Nikon AI lenses on a Maxxum body (for example, the Konica Minolta 5D, 7D or new Sony DSLR-A100). But, it looks like they're out of those right this minute (listed but out of stock).

You see them for other brands, too. For example, you can use them on any Canon DSLR via an adapter (meter will work, so you can meter stopped down) and Ebay vendors are a good place to find them.

B&H sells some, too (although not the number of them you'll find on Ebay and from other sources).

Lens Adapters at B&H

The meters in many other DSLR models will still work with an old non-CPU lens via an adapter (my KM 5D will). You just need to set the aperture on the lens (the camera won't know that it's attached, but the meter still works and the camera can be set to shoot even though it doesn't see a lens, using the correct shutter speed for the amount of light it sees through the lens). The EXIF just reports that you're using f/1.0. But, it still works fine that way (the meter works and sets the correct shutter speed for the light it sees in most modes, after you set the aperture ring on the lens to the desired aperture setting, since the camera can't control aperture).

With entry level Nikon DSLR bodies trying to use most older lenses, you'll have one of two problems:

* Can't mount them at all unless they're AI (Auto Indexing) lenses

* Can't meter with them, even if they are AI lenses (although you can use AI lenses if you want to estimate your shutter speed and aperture without a meter, or use a separate meter instead).

So, your best bet is to stick with Autofocus Lenses using a D50 unless you want to buy another camera brand to use them with (or move up to a higher end body like the D200 and convert them to AI if they're not already newer AI type Manual Focus Lenses).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I will try to post this in the lens forum. I did try the 50mm lens and I did't get an image on the LCD after shooting. I did put the camera in manual mode. I'll keep trying.. Thr Artst
thriving artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:03 PM   #5
Administrator

There's no need to start a new thread. I moved it for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote