Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1
v12

Hello friends

it seems the more I search and read the more confused I get. I know the more I spend the better the lens usually but my budget right now is about $1k total. I have recived my D50 and it came with the following:

Tamrom 70-300 and the 28-80mm lens. Both are decent and in my beginner hands will serve well as I learn. I have taken some shots with it and need to elarn how to shoot indoors without the flash if possible but I feel the lens is limiting me.

I took test shots of airplanes at the local airpak and they didnt turn out as sharp as id like. I also took shots at an indoor dinner pary at a rest and without the flash the shots were pretty useless.

I need suggestions for some lenses that will be able to

- shoot in low light indoor conditions, parties, gathering's etc. With and without flash be able to produce sharp results

- shoot outdoors in both low and full light conditions, mainly sports at a far distance

- shoot closeups of animals and such

any info appreciated as I frustrated now! Between amazon and ebay and here I keep reading and researching and seem to end more and more confused

thanks friends

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

Primes are yout best friends.

I use the Nikkor 50mm AF f1.4 and it is a lesn I will take with me to the grave. You can't go wrong with this one. I also had the Nikkor 50mm f1.8D and I'm telling you: spend the extra bucks for the f1.4. It is worth it.

I would also point out to you that if you need wider lenses, you may wanna look at the Sigmas: 30mm f1.4, 20mm/24mm/28mm f1.8.

And for tele go get the nikkor 85mm f1.8 (ir even the f1.4 if you can afford it).

No zoom will EVER do for indoors, no-flash, poor light photography.
The zooms you already have should be OK for everyday use.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3
rey

I assume your $1K is for lenses, as you already have a body.

I think even with primes, you will still need a well-lit area to get good shots indoors, like huge windows, or lots of indoor lights. If I don't have any lens, and I have $1K to spend I'll probably go with the 18-200VR and an external flash. The lens will cover most of what you need. And the flash gives you flexibility indoors. I bought my 50 f/1.8 prime when I got my camera, but if I could do it over, I would have bought an external flash first.

B&H currently have the SB-800 on sale for $295, and Nikon has an additional $10 rebate.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4
v12

thanks for the replies gents! I see both points and it has dug me farther into confusion hehe

Is it a good idea to get fixed lenses such as the 55's etc? Would it not make sense to get several in various focal lenghts and get them with better F ratings?

I know nothing about flashes, in my eternal newbiness I assumed that all flashes are created equal? What would the higher cost external flash do for me vs the stock popup my D50 has?

thanks

Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:42 PM   #5
v12

anymoore suggestions?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
shoot in low light indoor conditions, parties, gathering's etc. With and without flash be able to produce sharp results
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC AF Lens in Nikon mount

Quote:
shoot outdoors in both low and full light conditions, mainly sports at a far distance
Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D Macro ED AF Lens

$499 in Bargain condition
$616 in Excellent+ condition
$645 in Like New Condition

Non D version is less

See Camera Store> Nikon Autofocus> Lenses> Zoom Lenses

http://www.keh.com

1.4X Kenko Pro 300 DG Teleconverter

$165 in Excellent+ condition

See Camera Store> Nikon Autofocus> Lens Accessories> Converters

http://www.keh.com

Also look at used gear at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

I treated myself to the f1.8 50mm nik lens, having felt my two (budget) zooms did not give crisp images on occasion on my D50.

Accepting that it is comparable with a 70-80mm portrait lens in 35mm format, I have delighted in using this fixed focus lens. The images are noticeably better at A4 size, and it makes for a lighter, more compact and less obtrusive camera. It does mean you will not always have the right lens for every occasion, but it has never let me down yet. At less than £100, I feel it was a great bargain.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:04 PM   #8

I'm here to save you some money today. If I were you, I would go out and get me a 50mm f1.8 for around $100 - and use it whenever the lighting is not sufficient for your 28-80mm lens.

As for the rest, once you start shooting quite a bit, you will know for yourself what the limitations of your existing lenses are, and what types of photography you wish to do that the stuff you've already got can't handle perfectly well.

IMHO, there are likely to be 3 areas in which you will eventually find limits with what you have now, plus the 50mm f1.8. These are:

Very wide angle work: If this becomes a limiter, you'd be advised to get a 12-24mm lens. Nikon's is great, but expensive. Tokina's is nearly as good, and costs 1/2 as much. Tamron and Sigma also make lenses with 10mm or 11mm minimum focal lengths that might be good alternatives, but I can't speak for them.

Macro (ultra close up) work: Nikon makes a great 60mm or 105mm Micro that will do the job for you. Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron also make fine Macro lenses in the 90mm or 105mm range, and Sigma also makes a great 70mm macro. Every one of these lenses is an outstanding performer.

Fast telephotos for shooting sports: This involves big bucks, and big heavy lenses, whether buying the Nikon branded stuff, or the Sigma, Tokina, or Tamron alternatives

These three areas would probably give you all the coverage you could possibly imagine, but only YOU can prioritize them and figure out what you need first. That's why you should shoot a bunch with what you have already got (plus the inexpensive and superb Nikon 50mm f1.8) and then your own experience with what you already have, and where you run up against their limitations, will answer the question for you about which of these 3 lens categories you need first, and second, etc, and then we can give you more specific info about the particular choices available in each group.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:27 PM   #9
v12

thanks for the replies gents. I have added these lenses to my nightly research!

I am open to more ideas if you have them. Might sound weird but id love some direct links to purchase these items!

keep them coming!

Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:17 PM   #10

well, part of the fun is to hunt for them.

so, get crackin' and good luck!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote