Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1

Just received NIKON 18-200 VR and was surprized that this product has been made in Tailand. The quality is quite different from NIKON 105mm made in Japan.

18-200 has marks from the tools, which have been used on assembly line. Quite dissapointed. My NIKON 105mm has marvelos quality ... simply outstanding.

18-200 also look OK and working well (although I have to run more test shoots to make the final conclusion to leave it with me or return), but when you a bit picky you can see the difference between Japanese quolity control and ...

Please, let me know if sombody recently purchased 18-200 made in Japan?

Thank you.

:-)
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:50 AM   #2

Hi Akouzmit,

I have the 18/200 VR made in Thailand and I have a friend that has one made in Japan. There is no difference at all in the quality or performance. The only difference is the made in tags.

I bought mine at a camera store.

He bought his at Best Buy.

My Nikon 18/200 VRis the best all around lens I have ever owned and I use it for 99% of everything I shoot. ( weddings, portraits, large groups, small groups, pets, landscapes, Motorcycles, cars and everything else you can think of. It is a perfect match for my D200 and also works perfect on My D100.

I am also a perfectionist and have to put out high quality photographs or I would not have any business because I only use word of mouth to get other jobs. If I charged someone for a lousy picture I would not get referred to their friends.

My D200 was also made in Thailand and it is a truly great camera.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:12 PM   #3

Hi Ronnie,

I had some time to shoot with 18-200VR and the performance look really good (I have compared it with 18-135).

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience with 18-200VR.

Andrei.

akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:26 AM   #4

Hi Ronnie,

Some of my images with the VR mode on come blurry, but fine with the VR off. This the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Is VR on ok with the autofocus mode?
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:39 PM   #5

You still have to hold the camera steady when using the "VR" feature. I have shot as low as 1/15th @ 5.6 at 200 and came out with excellent nice sharp photos.

If using a Tripod the "VR" should be turned off.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote