Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

I'm going to buy a D80 this week, which is going to by my first DSLR. I've been looking at all the different Kits, and I'm having trouble making a final decision. The decision is based mostly on which Kit to get, or if I get the body only and get another lens.

Since this is my first DSLR I'm not up on all the lenses and the actual differences. I've been loonking at the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 ED AF, but I'm not sure if there is something else I should be looking for. I know I've heard that the 18-200 VR is the lens to get, if you can find one. I've been told by others to buy only f/2.8 lenses if you can afford them. Just don't know if they are truly needed, but I have a Sony point and shoot right now that seems to take nothing but horrible pictures. I like to shoot portrait and landscape pictures, but would like to get into action photos as well. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to end up being unhappy with later.

I'm looking to spend around $2,000 at the most, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
towndrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 AM   #2

I havent heard of anyone not being happy they got the 18-200 vr lens. It isnt cheap but have heard nothing but rave reviews. I dont think you would ever be sorry buying a 2.8 lens. I wish I could afford one. Being able to shoot with fast shutter speeds in low light is fantastic and you`ll be glad you have it more often than you would think. Just a over cast day is low light to my current 18-135 kit lens and my 28-300 tamron. Im sure there are other people on here that can tell you alot more tecnical things about these lenses but I dont think you could go wrong with ether of them. Ive noticed a bit of purple fringing using the 18-135 I got with my D-80 (Tree branches against a white sky) but besides that Ive been pretty happy with it. I wouldn't mind A longer focal length though but on the other hand with the 18-135 I cant zoom out so far as to really run out of light to get a steady picture without a tripod.

Just my 2 cents worth.. :-)
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:26 AM   #3

The only downside to f2.8 zooms is they're usually huge and weigh a tonne! Personally I often only take mine (a Sigma 24-70) with me when I know I'll be needing it (such as shooting a concert), as when I'm just out shopping etc and not planning to take any photos (although I always have my camera with me just in case) it's a lot of extra weight compared to the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens that came with my D50.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:05 PM   #4

Well, after all the looking around and research I finally went and bought my D80 this afternoon. I was still really unsure as to which lens or lenses I was going to purchase. I went to a local camera shop and picked out my D80, and as I was talking over which lens to buy with the associate the 18-200 VR came up. I told him that everywhere I had looked online didn't have them in stock, and that is what was creating my dilema. He said Oh, you want one? I have one more in stock, and we sell it for $749. . . . So I am the proud owner of a new D80 and 18-200 VR. Just reading the manual now and waiting for the battery to charge. Thanks a lot for all the input I've received from this site. I really do appreciate it.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:41 PM   #5

You lucky stiff. I had to wait almost 5mos to get my 18-200VR. It was definately worth the wait. I also just upgraded to my D80 from a D70s about 3 weeks ago. You are going to be very happy with your choices. I do alot of outdoor nature and bird photography. I have been very impressed with several second party lenses too. I am currently in love with the Tamron 200-500mm Tele. I also have nothing but praise for the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
Good shooting and have a ball.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:10 PM   #6

Ah Smac, I wish I was there in Chico, or anywhere in Cali actually. I just moved from Sacramento to Ohio about a year ago. Still trying to adjust. . . I miss it every day.

I was thinking of getting another lense, but after spending close to $2,000 today I think I may wait a bit. Since this is my first DSLR I think I'm going to play around a bit so I can see what it is that I really need or want. I think my next lens will be a telephoto though. I just go by name, and sice I know the Nikon name I've only been looking at those. I don't know much about Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Quantaray. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by the time I decide to make my next purchase.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:06 AM   #7

i woulnt buy into that whole "the 18-200mm vr is the best lens ever" thing. since i first got into the slr go-round, i have learned that primes are are best lenses. if you want a zoom then by all means dont get a zoom to do it all.
if i were you, i'd get the 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 sigma. the best walkaround lens in the business. it even beats the nikkor counterpart. then i'd get a 50mm f1.4. these would be my two first choices. and you would be left with some change to get a flash for your setup, if you think you would need one, or somekind of zoom that will cover the 70-???mm range.
hope this helps.
cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8

zygh wrote:
Quote:
i woulnt buy into that whole "the 18-200mm vr is the best lens ever" thing. since i first got into the slr go-round, i have learned that primes are are best lenses. if you want a zoom then by all means dont get a zoom to do it all.
if i were you, i'd get the 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 sigma. the best walkaround lens in the business. it even beats the nikkor counterpart. then i'd get a 50mm f1.4. these would be my two first choices. and you would be left with some change to get a flash for your setup, if you think you would need one, or somekind of zoom that will cover the 70-???mm range.
hope this helps.
cheers!
It is the best lens in its class and is as good an all in one solution as is available. Primes are definetly optically the best lenses, but are easily the most inconvenient. Whatever lens you choose, you will have to sacrifice something, (regardless of the cost), whether its optics, size, convenience, etc. The quality of zooms has improved, and honestly, most won't notice the differences in images between lenses, and are willing to take slightly poorer image quality for added convenience. That being said, my favorite lens is a prime (the 105 micro)
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:37 PM   #9

I just got my D-80 last Saturday and One thing that is pretty cool is the MB-D80 battery grip. If you got the cash get one. It really tricks out this camera. For one it just looks very cool. For another its also cool to see in the menu how your battery's are doing and what kind of charge you have in them. (or perhaps it just makes it look more like a D2xs in my head..) Haven't had a problem shooting all day and needing a charge yet with it on the camera. Its fun to be able to have a vertical shutter button. Something Im going to love getting used to. The only down side to it is that is does make the camera kinda heavy and it wont sit on the table without wanting to fall forward. I guess that might depend on what lens you have on it though. (I have the 18-135 one) But heck Im really happy with mine. Cool cool stuff. :-) Im curious to see what you have to say about the new lens you got. Id like to get one some time.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #10

I'd like to think that my opinion would matter, but since this is my first DSLR I really wouldn't be one to ask for an opinion. For me, this camera and lens performs twenty times better than the point and shoot camera that I was previously using. I love my 18-200 VR lens. I was expecting something slower and more noisy, but that isn't the case. I can zoom from 18mm to 200mm and it takes no time to focus. I'm almost curious as to if my VR is even working since I hear nothing. I love my new purchase, and I'm sure that I will even more so as I learn to use it accordingly. I wish that I could help more.