Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:53 PM   #11

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Graham,

Basically with a Nikon you multiply the focal length by 1.5 so a 50mm lens appears to have the same focal length as a 75mm lens in 35mm (actually it's focal length is still 50mm but we won't worry about the terminology used) and a 100mm is equivalent to 150mm and so on.

Steven,you are going to hate me as you were so close with the Canon's but missed that there are differences in the current 1D models. The 1Ds Mark II is full frame but the 1Ds Mark IIN (the sport and reportage shooters choice - and the one I would like - is 1.3x)......:blah::blah::blah:hehe!!

Mark
Hello Steven i'm sorry if i seemed to lambast Canon!, that wasn't my intention just a confused state of mind on my part:?.

Thank you Mark, is the focal lengthmultiplied view"in camera" ie as i look at a subject am i seeing it as 50mm /75mm,or in thedigital image viewing/ printing stage?? Sorry, i'm not very gened up on this . Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:03 PM   #12
Super Moderator

bluesman graham wrote:
Quote:
i'm not very gened up on this . Graham
Give it a little while and you will soon know as much as us (which is not a lot.... LOL). We are all in the same boat of wanting to learn more so keep asking away and I look forward to seeing some of your shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:33 AM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Graham,

Steven,you are going to hate me as you were so close with the Canon's but missed that there are differences in the current 1D models. The 1Ds Mark II is full frame but the 1Ds Mark IIN (the sport and reportage shooters choice - and the one I would like - is 1.3x)......:blah::blah::blah:hehe!!

Mark
I'm a Nikonite! I didn't actually know that, so there ya go. Something new every day.

Back to lenses!

I'm thinking of buying a used Nikon 300mm 2.8 for football / soccer. I'm finding I'm getting paid fairly substantial amounts of money for my shots now and would like that extra reach for the middle of the pitch. The trouble is, If I do - I'd maybe have to get another body in order to keep the 70-200 on standby. for closer stuff..

However

I've seen John's shots with the 120-300 2.8 sigma and I reckon that could probably be the solution. The only trouble is, it's such a good lens that there's hardly any used ones kicking about in the uk for decent cash Any help?
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:52 AM   #14
Super Moderator

I know your a Nikonite but enjoy messing with you LOL. I'm really sad as I don't fall into any camp (having moved from Konica Minolta to Canon so I'm a bit of a camera info geek!!! hmmmm, that explains a lot), anyway moving on.......... getting the 120-300mm f2.8 is going to be tough as it is not the sort of lens that people get rid of unless they are giving up, switching makes or too old to cope with the weight. I would contact the guys from http://www.mifsuds.comand ask them to let you know if they get one in. I would also keep an eye on eBay as they do sometimes come onto the site (there are a couple of Canons on there now) and you can always get one from one of the Hong Kong sites if you feel 'brave'!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How are you making your money, is it from players, fans, papers, magazines??? I ask as I am trying to earn more than just what comes in from my site so any advice how you are doing this would be fantastic!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:02 PM   #15

I'm known to the club, and they've purchased quite a few things for Memerobilia (calanders etc) as well as the mathday programmes. I've had a couple in local papers (who pay more than I thought they would). Also been asked if they could use some shots on things like mathday teamsheets / hospitality stationary etc.

Fans also buy fullsize shots to create posters etc from. Also sold a couple to a player who was making a scrapbook. All of these oppertunities were more or less laid on a plate for me.

I've been contacted by a mainstream national newspaper to cover a couple of games as well - which I've not yet done but I'm really looking forward to.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:00 PM   #16

A quick update. I rentedthe 85 mm f/1.4 from www.lensprotogo.comand used it for about a week. Best $65 Ive ever spent. I was able to back up a ways and still get uptight shots with it. I found myself not having to chase the action as much also. I may be wrong but it also seemed I could use faster shutter speeds with the same opening as compared to my 50 f/1.4. Is that possible or was i imagining it? I shot in thesame gyms with both lenses.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:39 AM   #17

I would love to see some shots you took with the lens you rented!
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:48 AM   #18

Ill get some up tonight.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:53 AM   #19

awesome.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I also followed your link to the rental place and I think after the holidays I am going to rent the 24-70 f2.8l for a week and shoot a few college and HS games.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a Canon 85mm f1.8, a Canon 100mm f2.0 and Sigma 28 - 70 f2.8 and alretnate between those three, with the 85 being my primary lens. I really want to shoot with an L and no way I can afford to buy one so thats a teriffic alternative.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for posting that link!
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:55 AM   #20

Well , dont get too excited, I dont know how awesome they'll be, as a matter of fact i can guarantee they WONT be awesome...lol But Ill post anyways