Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

:shock:I was getting ready to order the D200 package with the 18-200 lens when wallah, out of stock. Rather than hunting through this board and piecing together an answer, could someone take the time and answer the following questions. Thanks and have a great T-day if you are in the US and a great day where-ever you are on this wonderful blue photogenic 3rd rock from the sun.

Why are there NIKON production problems if that is the case? Do they intend to keep producing this lens? When should the supply open up?

If you were me and wanting to purchase this camera now, how would you substitute lenses for the 18-200 keeping price and changing lenses in mind. I am an amateur shooting kids sports, landscapes and everything around the house. I have the macro already covered in another post. Thank you so much for an expected wonderful pointed answer.
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2

nsclcctl wrote:
Quote:
:shock:I was getting ready to order the D200 package with the 18-200 lens when wallah, out of stock. Rather than hunting through this board and piecing together an answer, could someone take the time and answer the following questions. Thanks and have a great T-day if you are in the US and a great day where-ever you are on this wonderful blue photogenic 3rd rock from the sun.

Why are there NIKON production problems if that is the case? Do they intend to keep producing this lens? When should the supply open up?

If you were me and wanting to purchase this camera now, how would you substitute lenses for the 18-200 keeping price and changing lenses in mind. I am an amateur shooting kids sports, landscapes and everything around the house. I have the macro already covered in another post. Thank you so much for an expected wonderful pointed answer.
I don't know that there are production problems. They are certainly not meeting all the demand for this lens, but most people I know have been able to find the lens with a bit of perserverance. This lens will be part of the Nikon lineup for a long time to come. Part of the problem is there is no used market as of yet for this lens as it is still fairly new. If your willing to spend over retail price, the lens is quite easy to find on Ebay. There is no comparable one lens solution with VR. In all honesty, there are many different ways you could go. The 18-70 paired with either the 55-200, 70-300 or 80-200 (not the 2.8 one) from Nikon are good two lens, reasonably priced solutions. Throw in a 50mm f1.8 for low light stuff and you've still spent well less than the 18-200 vr, with arguably less distortion.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:11 PM   #3
rey

This lens is available out there. I, personally, have purchased three, keeping one. I purchased multiple because I paid more initially, and found it cheaper later on, so I sold the initial ones.

Assuming you're in the US, I suggest you stay away from popular sites like B&H, and look for legit mom-and-pop stores. I was in B&H's and Robert's wait list for 6+ months and never heard from them. Until I read someone's post about mom-and-pop stores and got on their waitlist. They called me back within three weeks.

As far as alternative. Sigma is coming out with 18-200 with their version of VR (OS, I think). There are also several 18-200 without VR's out there, and Nikon is also releasing a 70-300VR next month.

Overall, the lens is really good and versatile. The negatives I've read is that the lens is not as sharp as 17-55, which cost about twice, and also people complained about lens creeps. Mine doesn't creep yet (knock on wood). The only downside I've experience is light fall-off in the corners when shooting bright skies.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:57 PM   #4

Try going to Best Buy and Circuit City and keep your eyes open for one because they seem to have them but they will sell fast. Maybe you could try to have a salesperson call you when one does come into stock. They will be $899.00 in thise stores but at least you will have one.

I have one and believe me when I tell you it is tack sharp and the color rendition is beuatiful. I use mine for 99% of everything I do.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

I'd keep trying to find the lens. A few weeks ago I called Roberts. They were willing to break up a D200 kit and sell me the 18-200mm lens seperately. I paid $699 and had it in my hands in 1 day
shawnee3 is offline   Reply With Quote