Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:40 PM   #11

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
manz wrote:
Quote:
the non AF-S lenses will be only mannual focus on d40.. cauz theres no focussing pin/motor in the d40 body.

i guess this question is up cauz quite a lot of ppl (likeme)looking to move up to SLR are excited about D40 ..

i hope nikon releases a 50 mm af s lens.. cauz the real reason i want an SLR was to get DOF (blurred backgrounds) on my snaps.. and that needs a f1.8.

but then how difficult is it to manually focus the 50mm prime ??
Actually, you're looking for less DOF. F1.8 is not necessary or the only way to achieve out of focus backgrounds. Increasing the subject to background distance, as well as using longer focal lengths will also give you the effect you desire. Often at f 1.8, depth of field is too shallow making it difficult to get the entire subject in focus.

thanks... thats a very useful bit of info.. do u think the kit lens with the d40 will give enough dof at f3.5.. i have a canons2 and to get any blurring of the background i need to zoom atleast 4 to 5 x even if the background is quite far... that not really practical in most situations..now i know an f2.7 on a canon s2 is probably an f 12 on an slr..

i just returned from paris and am quite dissappointed because of this. next trip i am taking an SLR for sure if i can get a good lens and body within 650 $.

and another question.. is it a good idea to buy the 50 mm prime with the d40.. or is manual focus something left to the pros...??

manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:14 AM   #12

Quote:
do u think the kit lens with the d40 will give enough dof at f3.5..
You're still a little backwards. DOF refers to how much of the image is in focus. You are looking for less DOF. That being said, yes you can take images with blurred backgrounds with the kit lens, and as I said before the lens does not need to be wide open. By using longer focal lengths, or increasing subject to background distance you can get the effect you're looking for. Shooting wide open is not the only way to achieve this.
Quote:
Ihave a canons2 and to get any blurring of the background i need to zoom atleast 4 to 5 x even if the background is quite far.
Because of the very short real focal lengths, any P&S digicam will have significantly more DOF than a DSLR. In this sense, using a dslr will make achieving this effect much easier.
Quote:
and another question.. is it a good idea to buy the 50 mm prime with the d40.. or is manual focus something left to the pros...??
For the price, the 50mm f1.8 is almost a steal. It's great optically and very useful for low light situations. It is a bit long for indoor use in tight locations, but again for the price everyone should own one. Manual focus is not that difficult. It is slower...it will be tough to shoot action or birds flying. I think the best use for this lens is for portraits, which I always manually focus anyway. Just remember, when wide open this lens has very shallow DOF, and slight movements can take your subject in and out of focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote