Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

The big sales start tomorrow and they have just introduced the new Nikon D40. In the reviews it says can only except lenses that are AF-S or AF-1. What does this mean? Ifa lense just says AF, would it work???? Thanks
jhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:33 PM   #2

Non AF-S lenses will only work in manual focus - not autofocus.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:49 PM   #3

i am a newbie at this and I don't want to sound too stupid. I have a N50 with the orginal package lense and a Quantray 70-300. It says made for Nikon AF. So would these be interchangable to the D40 that excepts AF-3 or AF-1?
jhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:21 PM   #4

Those lenses will not auto focus with the D40. Only the newer lenses designated AF-S will autofocus with the D40.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:32 AM   #5

AF-S lenses have a built in motor, AF ones don't. All Nikon SLRs so far have had a motor built into the body so can use either. The D40 doesn't have the motor built into the body - hence the limited range of lenses it can autofocus with.

Keith.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:53 AM   #6

Can anyone tell me what are the drawbacks of using manual focus lenses on D40. will it effect the photos if not used properly.
asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7

Provided you don't mind manually focusing, it is not a problem. I never use autofocus on my 60mm Micro Nikkor anyway. However, the autofocus is excellent at catching birds in flight, even on my old 70-300ED, so I wouldn't want to be without it.

Keith.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Administrator

asim24 wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what are the drawbacks of using manual focus lenses on D40. will it effect the photos if not used properly.
Let's make sure we're on the "same page".

The issue being discussed was the use of Autofocus Lenses on a D40. Because the D40 does not have a built in focus motor, you will lose Autofocus ability unless you use AF-S or AF-I lenses (these don't need the camera body's focus motor).

These types of Autofocus lenses work, provided you use Manual Focus.

But, older Manual Focus lenses are a different story entirely.

Unless they're CPU type lenses, you won't be able to meter with them on a D40. You should not even attempt to mount them if they're not AI (Auto Indexing).

If they're Autofocus, they'll work (but, you will need to use manual focus if they're not AF-S or AF-I lenses)

If they're newer AI (Auto Indexing) type lenses (introduced by Nikon in 1977), you can mount them on a D40. But, you won't be able to meter, even with AI lenses (you'd be shooting blind, setting aperture and shutter speed with no meter in the camera available on a D40).

You can find services that convert them to AI if they're not. But, with a D40, you still wouldn't have a meter with non-CPU Lenses. With a D200 (or some of the more advanced Nikon models), the meter still works with AI lenses.

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

If you want to use older Manual Focus Nikkor Lenses, your best bet would be to move to a higher end Nikon body like the D200.

Or, you could get adapters to use them on some other camera brands and use stop down metering. But, on most entry level Nikon models, you'd lose the ability to meter with non-CPU Nikkor lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:55 AM   #9

the non AF-S lenses will be only mannual focus on d40.. cauz theres no focussing pin/motor in the d40 body.

i guess this question is up cauz quite a lot of ppl (likeme)looking to move up to SLR are excited about D40 ..

i hope nikon releases a 50 mm af s lens.. cauz the real reason i want an SLR was to get DOF (blurred backgrounds) on my snaps.. and that needs a f1.8.

but then how difficult is it to manually focus the 50mm prime ??
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:01 AM   #10

manz wrote:
Quote:
the non AF-S lenses will be only mannual focus on d40.. cauz theres no focussing pin/motor in the d40 body.

i guess this question is up cauz quite a lot of ppl (likeme)looking to move up to SLR are excited about D40 ..

i hope nikon releases a 50 mm af s lens.. cauz the real reason i want an SLR was to get DOF (blurred backgrounds) on my snaps.. and that needs a f1.8.

but then how difficult is it to manually focus the 50mm prime ??
Actually, you're looking for less DOF. F1.8 is not necessary or the only way to achieve out of focus backgrounds. Increasing the subject to background distance, as well as using longer focal lengths will also give you the effect you desire. Often at f 1.8, depth of field is too shallow making it difficult to get the entire subject in focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote