Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:49 PM   #1

I am about to buy a Nikon D200+18-200mm Nikon lens. ($2249)

buydig.com/beachcamera.com shows the body+the lens, but I don't see the red "VR" writing on the lens. I talked to two sales people, they both said the Lens is actually VR, although the picture on line does not show this!

Is there a way to verify this? I really want to make sure I get the VR lens.

Any advice?
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
I talked to two sales people, they both said the Lens is actually VR, although the picture on line does not show this!
Let me get this right.... You're going to spend over $2k with a company that you don't trust?

Nikon only makes one 18-200mm lens, and the product listing at buydig.com says this kit includes the "18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Lens".

Only Nikon makes an 18-200mm lens with all of those designations including AF-S (Nikon's Silent Wave Focusing). Someone just left off the VR part. The Mfr. Part number shown in their listing for this kit (9995) is also correct for the D200 kit with the VR lens. It matches up to the manufacturer part number for this kit at other vendors like http://www.bhphotovideo.com

In addition, if you click on the product description tab in the listing you're referring to and scroll down to the features section, you'll see an entire section describing the lens in the kit, including the VR feature:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...ku=NKD20018200

Quote:
18-200mm Lens Features
  • Quote:
    11.1x High-Power Zoom - Get close to the action with exceptional optical quality throughout the entire zoom rangeNew Enhanced Vibration Reduction - New VR II function offers the equivalent of a shutter speed 4 steps faster than normal
    [/*]
    Quote:
    Two ED Glass and Three Aspherical Lens Elements - Extra-low Dispersion glass minimizes chromatic aberration-aspherical elements minimize distortion and allow for smaller, lighter weight designs Silent Wave Motor for Fast, Quiet AF - Nikon's exclusive technology enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation. The M/A mode allows immediate switching between manual and autofocus operation Focuses to 20 Inches - Superior optical performance even at close-focusing distances 72mm filter diameter

Quote:
Any advice?
Sure... Don't SHOUT in your subject lines with titles ending in "NEED HELP NOW!!".

You'll probably get faster responses without the shouting and exclamation marks if another member sees the thread and knows the answer to your questions. ;-)

BTW, buydig.com (beach) has a good reputation. The sales people are not trying to mislead you about the included lens. But, you do have to be careful with vendors you're not familar with. There are a lot of scammers around with nice looking web sites.

I'd probably avoid their package deals though (they tend to have a lot of junk that you may not want). After all, they have to make a profit somewhere. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3
rey

photino wrote:
Quote:
I am about to buy a Nikon D200+18-200mm Nikon lens. ($2249)

buydig.com/beachcamera.com shows the body+the lens, but I don't see the red "VR" writing on the lens. I talked to two sales people, they both said the Lens is actually VR, although the picture on line does not show this!

Is there a way to verify this? I really want to make sure I get the VR lens.

Any advice?
Jim is right, this should be the VR lens. It's best to look at descriptions instead of pictures. But honestly, I'm looking at the picture from buydig and I can swear I see a faint red mark where the "VR" should be.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:59 AM   #4

If it's an original Nikon lense, it has to be VR, but make sure that it's not a cheap 18-200mm lens from Sigma or Tamron.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:40 AM   #5

To the best of my knowledge, the only 18-200 that NIKON makes IS VR. There are other brands of 18-200 that would also fit the nikon mount. So as long as you are getting a NIKON brand 18-200, then you are getting the VR.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:17 AM   #6

Thank you all for your replies!

A couple of comments: I did a lot of research before buying the D200 plus the 18-200mm VR lens. I don't know how I got the idea that there might exist a non-VR version o the 18-200mm Nikon lens. That made me a little worried.

But now I've got the product, received it today actually (had ordered last Tuesday!).

I am very happy with everything, but there is a ton of things I need to learn. Thanks guys again for your help.
photino is offline   Reply With Quote