Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:09 AM   #1

Ok i'm getting a strange error on my D50, I just bought a Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 ATX AF (Not to be confused with the ATX Pro, the ATX Pro II, or the ATX Pro SV (newest))

Anyway When I first hooked the lens up when i turned my D50 on I got an F - - Message on the top (Which I thought was because the lens wasn't F22, and the little tab pulled all the way down (because the locking apperature tab is quite loose).

But then after playing around with it and turning the camera on and off a few times, finally I got F2.8 in the top corner and i could use it normally (AF worked and all the good stuff) took quite sharp pictures at f2.8 (up until about 60mm then it got softer)
I also noticed it had about a 5mm front focus, which won't be much of a problem because its only noticeable at the minimum focus distance.

Turns out its not the FEE error (because i can get that when the lens works) BUT when i turn the camera off most of the time i get the F - - error, ALSO when the metering turns off when I hold the shutter again sometimes I also get the F - - error.

So i thought it was a lens contacts issue, so i used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to try to clean them, BUT error persists, Its not the d50 interior contacts because no other lenses have given me trouble.

I've heard that sometimes the chips can go bad? but to be this intermittant seems strange, I only paid 185$ CAD for it so getting it rechipped probably wouldn't be worth it (and its a Tokina lens so i would have to send it to the states (i live in canada)).

So anyone know whats going on / how to fix it? or a better way to clean the contacs?

Thanks.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:20 AM   #2

Still randomly getting the error, Though i can set the metering to 30 minute's till shutoff and its not really a problem,
Also Talked to Tokina and it would cost roughly 66$ to get it fixed and shipped (But thats across the border)
Also it won't focus and shoot at 500meters plus, its like it thinks it couldn't focus even though it is trying to focus near the infinity range, Its like when you try to focus too close to the lens and it won't let you take the picture.

Just an unrelated error i'm afraid, but might be annoying in the future.

That said, this tokina has the BEST color rendition of any lens I have, even better than my 50mm f1.8, It also has almost uniform sharpness and contrast around the image circle, Its really an amazing lens other than these errors.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3

I know this is an old thread.
I am having the same problem. How do you get the metering to go to 30 min?
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:47 PM   #4

I found the answer. Menu > pencil icon > #18 meter off set to 3o min.
I have not seen this option before.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:48 PM   #5

What is the reason for having a meter off time? Is this running down the battery?