Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Have been given a D80 body and now need some lenses:

a) sports - cricket action shots of batters from 40m-70m distance

- field hockey (faster moving players) distance 10m - 60m

for a) auto focus would be great (almost essential)

b) general use - happy snappy, indoors low light and outdoors

Sports lens very important, price does matter (ish)but all suggestions appreciated, could one lens do all?

NB Apologies to the moderators for 1st submitting this post in the what camera section in error
wwjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:49 AM   #2

Best bet would be the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 (VR if you can afford it)
they range from about 800$ used to 1600$ for the new VR
Also if you need a bit of extra reach for another 250$ you could pick up the 1.4 teleconvertor, not sure if VR works then, And you lose a stop of light, but I hear its a good combination nonetheless.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:46 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Sorry to say you are not going to be able to do everything with one lens.

Have a look at this which will give you some more info http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

I shoot a lot of field hockey (to say the least) and use a Sigma70-200mm f2.8 often with a 1.4x telecon however I often would like a little more range. As for the cricket then 400mm is going to be bare minimum. A friend of mine who is a Pro sports shooter uses the Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 for this but a lot of other photographers there are using 400mm f2.8 (sometimes with telecons) or 500mm f4. Hope that gives you some food for thought.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4

I've just managed to corral one of the elusive 70-300mm VR lenses and think it would be perfect for your needs. The VR definitely works and you should be able to hand hold it and get good results. I've only had a chance to test it in gloomy West Coast winter weather, and my trials have shown it can take quite spectacular zoom shots, even in less than ideal light.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:02 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
I've just managed to corral one of the elusive 70-300mm VR lenses and think it would be perfect for your needs. The VR definitely works and you should be able to hand hold it and get good results. I've only had a chance to test it in gloomy West Coast winter weather, and my trials have shown it can take quite spectacular zoom shots, even in less than ideal light.

Steve
The 70-300 will be a fine range for field hockey but at f4 - f5.6 the depth of field will not be the best meaning you will not get the blurred background that is desirable.

For cricket to get any quality more range will be needed. Have a look at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82here you will see the results of a 300mm lens on a D2X at f4. The difference with the D2X and the D80 is the D2X has a crop factor of 2x when shooting in the sports mode making the lens equivalent to 600mm in 35mm terms so to get the same results you would be looking at 400mm. I would still say that is slightly short unless you want to crop the image down quite a bit. If you want a lens that will do it well then the Sigma 100-300mm f4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 (first two can be used with Teleconverters) or Nikon 200-400 f4 (a telecon with this would also be helpful for making the cricket shots work really well).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote