Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:44 PM   #11

Ronnie-

Thanks for your post. That is really great news. It is virtually impossible to find a Nikkor 18-200mm VR. That is why I began looking at the Nikkor 70-300mm VR. So as soon as I receive the lens, I will post some photo samples. I sincerely hope that it is as good as you expect it to be.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:44 PM   #12

Hi Sarah,

Let us know how it does after you get it. I'm probably going to get one just for the extra reach and "VR"

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:58 PM   #13

Ronnie-

It is all about the "extra reach" that the Nikkor 70-300 VR can provide. I am very positive, based on what I have seen thus far, about the Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens. Mind you, the proof is in the pudding, as the old saying goes. So let's wait a bit till I receive the 70-300mm lens and take some photos. I will post a selection of photos that will either hold the that lens to high praise, or to be a warning to others to take a very good second look at the 70-300mm VR lens. It may indeed,be NOT what we quite expected. So please, stand by, for enough time to get the Nikkor 70-300mm VR in hand and on my D-50 with a bit of time to take some realistic photos,upon which we can make some realistic judgements about lens quality.

Ronnie, like it or not, it takes a bit of time, after ordering,to get the lens in hand and mounted on the camera. Only then can we take the necessary photos from which we will make our judgements.

MT/Sarah

Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:45 AM   #14

Thank You Sarah, Let me know when you recieve it.

Ronnie
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:05 AM   #15

sawman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:12 PM   #16

My two cents..I have the 70-300 VR and think it's great. But I also got my D80 with the 18-135mm lens. If I could go back, I'd consider a D80 body and the 18-200mm VR. That way I'd have a sort of wide, normal and mid tele without carrying anything else. I can't hand hold my 18-135 at zoom as it has no VR, but can with the bigger lens. Now if I take the 70-300, I have to stand back a mile to capture anything near, or else add weight and carry the other lens.

Steve (walks a lot !)
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:16 PM   #17

Ronnie-

The Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens arrived this afternoon. Here is the first photo taken with it, using my D-50. I was surprised how long this lens really is. However, I can not fault its image quality. I do have one camera case that can accommodate this lens while mounted on the D-50. I think it will work out as a "walk around" lens and a viable alternative to the Nikkor 18-200mm VR Lens albeit while saving a few bucks.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:20 AM   #18

Here's another person with severe NAS re the 70-300 lens and with a D40 on backorder. Getting the lens now would be like buying a fish before the fish tank, but it's an affliction, isn't it.

I'll look forward to more of your results with that lens--the first looks like a very sharp and happy man

One thing about such a long lens is it will help with depth of field control more than the shorter ones can.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:33 AM   #19

Nice photo, I can count the hair in His beard.

I gotta get Me one of these!!!!!!!

Ronnie
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:08 PM   #20
rey

JDar wrote:
Quote:
Here's another person with severe NAS re the 70-300 lens and with a D40 on backorder.
There are lot of stores online that have the d40 in-stock. B&H have them, and Cameta has several D40 packages:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&Submit=Go
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Cameta...280321QQsofpZ0

rey is offline   Reply With Quote