Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:46 AM   #1

Default Teleconverter? Which one can I use?

I am in the need of more focal length.

Right now i have a 70-300 Nikkor lense, but am thinking of a teleconverter to add more power.

The TC-14E and TC-20E dont seem to work with AF-lenses, only AF-S and AF-I... (whatever the difference is?)

So what should I choose? Sigma?

To further add complexity to the question, I am also thinking of buying a Nikkor 300/4 AF-S lense later on when I get the financial possibility...

Are there any reviews on these online? And do auto focus work with these?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:42 PM   #2

Well, teleconvert 1.4 or 1.7 or 2.0 are best quality with lenses f/2.8 or f/4.

If example zoom with f/3.5-5.6 or f/4-5.6 or f/5.6-6 whatever with teleconvert will LOSS F/STOP and viewfinder from SLR look awful little dark or dark. PLUS possible not best Quality image, it grainy.

Not worth it.

That is why, it need expensive lenses such f/2.8 or f/4 with AF-S = more speed focus. If no AF-S then auto focus will very very very slow or stuck.

claw
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:59 AM   #3

Default Re: Teleconverter? Which one can I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
Right now i have a 70-300 Nikkor lense, but am thinking of a teleconverter to add more power.
Teleconverters are usually 1.4X and 2X. The 1.4X and 2X converters reduce the incoming light intensity by 1 and 2 stops. Since the 70-300 at the longest end (i.e., 300mm) has a maximum aperture of F5.6, adding a 1.4X and 2.X converter will reduce the maximum aperture to F8 and F11, respectively. I doubt that your camera will be able to focus properly. Most SLR and DSLR cameras require the maximum aperture to be F5.6 or slightly smaller.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 8:59 AM   #4

Watch out about loosing AF even if you have the proper aperture.
Some TCs don't transfer the proper AF signals through the converter to the lens.

I have heard good things about the kenko TCs on Nikons. Specifically this one "Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter for Nikon AF-S", I assume the AF version ($10 cheaper) is as good.

I would read about it first, as it seems limited in what lenses it can work with.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote