Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:30 PM   #1

I am so impatient ..I have the d80 ordered and after reading some of the forum I decided to go ahead and order the 18-55 af lens..so I would have it here for Christmas shooting.. from all I read now it appears that is a mistake.. I want really sharp pictures ...I now have the 5700 and I have to fix all pics with Photoshop to get them sharp..I guess will have to do the same with the 18-55..what step lens up the line should I get to really have sharp pictures without the fix..trying to stay within the 300.00 price range.
jess russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:52 PM   #2

When used and focused properly, the 18-55 will yield sharp images. I have sold images made with the 18-55. The 18-70 is a bit better optically, but I doubt you'll notice differences made with the two lenses, especially at normal print sizes. Primes will yield sharper images, but you'll give up alot in flexibility and will need to change lenses alot.

Unless you crank up sharpening in camera, you will need to sharpen most images from DSLR's , as well as punch up the color. All of your images will require some post work for best results.

Be patient. Don't believe everything you read (except my posts). You'll come across alot of pixel peepers that are critical of anything that is not pro level. Get the lens, use it and I think you'll be suprised. Be prepared, if you've never used a DSLR before, the D80 comes with a learning curve, and it will take alot of practice and use before you start seeing great results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:37 PM   #3

man you very smart and I rely on your judgement...I print most of my pics 8x10 or 13x19.. have had good results with the old 5700 and photoshop..now tell me... whats the advantage of 5.0 meg and this 10. meg..what setting would you make for the quality so to be able to print 13x19...is it not best to NOT set the camera for in camera sharpening and just do it in photoshoo.

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:00 PM   #4

For important images, I tend to shoot RAW and adjust everything in post. I've never been a fan of in camera sharpening, as I think it creates more artifacts and is more harsh. 10mp is alot more resolution, especially when you compare a DSLR to a point and shoot. You'll be able to crop more and/or print larger. 4x6 prints are very crisp from my D80.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but even the 18-55 is a step up from your current camera's lens.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:09 PM   #5

I didnt know what the d80 lens is off the shelf with lens.. what lens does is normally ship with ?
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:52 PM   #6

The usual kit lens is an 18-135. It has a nice, versatile focal length, is quite sharp, and lightweight. It does have some issues with CA and the fact that it's not VR means you need very good technique and shot discipline at the long end. For the price, again its tough to beat.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7
rey

Nikon had packaged the D80 with different lenses. The 18-135 was the original package, but I've seen it with the 18-55, the 18-55 and 55-200 (Costco kit), and with the cheaper 28-80.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:27 AM   #8

The nikon 18-55mm is sharp and fast. It's a general use lens, very light. It's not a bad choice for a carry everywhere lens. I have printed 8x10 without any PP and pictures look sharp and with very nice color.

In camera sharpness may be left at normal, picture size Large and JPG Fine will get you the resolution you want.

For indoor low light photos I prefer the 55mm 1.8 Nikkor lens. Also very fast focus and sharp pictures.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote