Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

G'day all,

Ok so I want better shots. Sort of. What I am finding is that I am becoming more and more unhappy with the overall sharpness of shots. Now be it because of the subject or because of my hand not being steady enough or whatever the case may be I am getting to the point where either I need to change some settings on my camera to take sharper shots or I need to upgrade.

I am using the 18-55kit lens that came with my D50. And it is great, so don't get me wrong there. But I want something better. A friend was taking shots with a L lens on her Canon. Anyway the shots were just of some ducks. Now I know for sure had I taken the same shots with my lens and camera that I would have ditched them. But for her they came out really nicely. Just naturaly light and the clarity was awsome. No post editing.

So after all that drivel, my question is simple. What do I get. What type, what focal length. Yes I do want to do macro and wildlife as well. What is my next step up. And can I do it below around $1500Aus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollieography/ <<<that there is my flickr gallery, some of you may have seen it. I have ten pages of shots, and the oldest from page ten back to page one are shots I have taken since Feb that I have post edited(shot in raw always) and put up. There is an almost definitive progress of the shots getting better and better, but I think the clarity on some shots could be way way better.

Let me know what you think I should do. All help is greatly appreciated.

Ollie

PS: I would love a D200, but that just isn't going to happen.
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2
rey

A pro-level lens with similar range is Nikon's 17-55 F/2.8

Maybe you should go to a local shop and try that out. I have no experience with that lens, as I can't afford it, but it has a very good reputation.

But if I were you, I'd get the 18-200VR. It's cheaper, and has a more flexible range.

Good Luck.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the info mate. Shall look into both lenses I think. Either way I want something good to play with.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote