Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:45 PM   #1

This lens is going for $749 - $20 with Google checkout and no sales tax, so I ordered it last week in hopes of getting it some time early next year.

To my HUGE surprise, I just got an email saying it has been shipped!!!

It will be the best Christmas gift ever! :-)
mischiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2

That is great news. I'm sure you will be doing Christmas pictures, and plenty of them.

Merry Christmas

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks Ronnie! Hopefully I will get it before Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:18 PM   #4

sighs.... just talked to RitzCamera and they said that email was a false alarm from google :sad::sad::sad:
It's still backordered....
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5

Thats a bummer. BUT It is worth waiting for and you are already on the list to get yours first. I have one I use on My D100 & mostly my D200 and I don't have any desire for any other lens. Let us know when you recieve it and I still wish you a Merry Christmas.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:13 PM   #6

Thanks Ronnie. It will be a long wait but I am sure it's worth it.
Kudos for that space shuttle pic, I wish I could see a launch some day....
Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:21 PM   #7

G'day,

ADORAMA proved to be an ethical outfit. (UPDATE)

I have no connection with them -- I made a pleasant and successful website purchase of a Nikon D200 and a NIKKOR 24-120 VR lens. Arrived quickly, packed well with email notices etc. Can't recommentd them more highly -- after my disasters with Royal Camera and Broadway Photo.

The D200 with the VR lens is a lot of camera -- which I still need to master and it may take some time!!! This camera should almost be the last camera I need -- not counting any future small point and shoot units like my 7Meg Casio, which sometimes makes almost asounding pics and really without my help!!

My Royal Camera Purchase DISASTER -- ORIGINAL POST

Ordered a Nikon 200 body with a USA warranty -- they sent me a Jap warranty -- all Japanese. Ordered two Nikon VR lenses with US warranties -- all items and prices off their website -- they sent two Sigma lenses you can buy from Amazon for 40% of the charged prices to my c/card -- No prices/and items itemized on the invoice -- I've sending it all back and have written a full report and now have an Amex Case-file submitted -- what a real waste of time, all took some 5-6 hours to sort out. They billed my credit card $2399.00 -- nothing itemized!!! I've put a stop to that.

The RoyalCamers site had Nikon D200's Body at $699.00 -- I copied their site. They then tell you " Oh that's a plastic one" and "you don't want a plastic one do you? "Especially without a US Warranty"?? And so it goes -- I kept laughing to myself -- was sort of astounded at their absolute Conman Bait and Switch approach -- the tradgedy is -- it's all at my expense!!

COST ME $39.00 for insurance and postage to return -- these people are shysters!! Real conmen of the worst Bait & Switch type -- I got their name from the Amazon site!!!!! They appear to be an Amazon supplier it!!????

I have loaded down all pages off their website for the record,

My BroadwayPhoto Purchase DISASTER -- ORIGINAL POST

NOW ASK ME HOW MY NEXT PURCHASE ATTEMPT WENT?

I went off to Broadway Photo -- Bought my first Nikon Coolpix 4500 there 3 years ago -- was very happy with the expereince!

Same Deal! Ordered off their website Nikon D200 (with US Warranty) with 18-70mm Nikkor DX VR lens KIT @ $1353. Ordered an extra NIkkor 24-120mm DX VR lens at almost $500., again all items and prices etc off their web site --

One then has a phone conversation -- they then try the brutal "UPSELL" -- I kept saying NO NO NO -- "just give me what I ordered"!!!

You are then told everything is out of stock!!! You then point out another D200 kit and ask -- " I'll order that -- is that out of stock too?" Everthing is out of stock unless you buy their very very expensive add-ons -- Batteries at $300. Extra Warranties at some hundreds. Keep in mind by now they now have told you all the stuff on the website is Grey Market -- and to buy a US warranty you must pay another $300 for the item --

This is my conclusion -- after speaking to both outfits -- after 12 phone calls -- Both sales teams or phone operators are the same!! I have talked to the same individual at both outfits. Same voice, same approach and same rudeness -- when you ask their names and you often have to ask three times (Royal Camera) and threaten to hang up if no name is given. The change their names constantly and of course forget what name they used with you before!!!

In other words somebody has set this very professional predatory team up -- and marrying today's phone and computer technolgy -- this team can be the phone operators for more than one sales outfit -- I'm now going to attempt to buy from Adorama -- I'll let you know how it goes. I do believe they have a better reputation -- well that's according to my Guru Site -- KenRockwell.com

HotMetalComp, new to Steve's forum
HotMetalComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:49 AM   #8
rey

Below are two stores I've bought the 18-200VR from. The waitlist back in September was 3 weeks, that's a lot less than B&H and Roberts (which are 6 to 12 months). You have to call them and ask them how long their waitlist is for the 18-200VR and if you like it, ask to be added on their waitlist. They then call you back when it's in stock, and that's when you decide if you really want the lens. So I suggest you get on both store's wait list. They don't do online purchase, and I am not affiliated with these stores. I paid $750 plus shipping and they don't collect tax for out of state orders. Note that the first one is actually not in NY, and is NOT one of those crooks from Brooklyn.

New York Camera and Video
http://www.nycv.com/

Camera Wholesalers in CT
http://www.camerawholesalers.com/index.php

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:28 AM   #9

hey guys,

I'm a pentax guy. I saw this thread and was just wondering why the lens costs so much... Shake reduction is done in-lens, right? Could that be it? 7xx hundred bucks seems huge for a lens.... you can get an all new camera body for that money
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:09 PM   #10

FYI for all those that are as desperate as I was in finding an 18-200 VR lens, I was able to get one at:
http://www.camerawholesalers.com/index.php

I think I was doing a search on this almost every day, and seeing the posted message from Rey on Christmas Day, I was able to get one.
I am a new member, and really appreciate all that I learn from this forum and the reviews. Good Luck
Paul
paba is offline   Reply With Quote