Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

I'm getting a D200 with the intention of using it primarily indoors to take pictures of my kids (who move way too fast for my Oly-8080). I'd like a good lens that takes fast photos even indoors. An overall good lens that would also be good for outdoor sports shots would be great too, but not my primary concern.

TIA!
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2

Hi Tia,

Just get the SB-800 Nikon Speedlight flash, Then you will get great photo's even with a slow lens. You can use it off camera wireless using the built in camera flash asthe commander. I use a D200 with the 18/200 "VR" Nikon lens for baby pictures as well as kids and pets. The SB-800 is my flash of choice because it has more power then the SB-600 and really does not cost that much more considering it comes with a diffuser and has a built in pull out bounce card etc. I also have an SB-600 that is not really that useful because of the lack of power when trying to bounce the flash around a room. The wireless TTL is the best thing in the world for easy and fastlighting. Of course You will need to experiment and fine tune your technique when using off camera flash. The on camera built in flash will give you "RED EYE" when trying to do a portrait.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3

Phyl wrote:
Quote:
I'm getting a D200 with the intention of using it primarily indoors to take pictures of my kids (who move way too fast for my Oly-8080). I'd like a good lens that takes fast photos even indoors. An overall good lens that would also be good for outdoor sports shots would be great too, but not my primary concern.

TIA!
with Olympus 8080 your problem is not fast lens ... Oly 8080 has 2.8 all way through. Your problem is a slow start up time and SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW focus .
I have been there and I sold my 8080 after 2 month.
ANY lens on d200 will be an improvement over what you got now. Just go and test it at a store ... you'll be blown away.
you may not need sb-800 , sb-600 will work just fine for half of the price of sb-800 if you are not photographing your kids over great distances in dim indoors.

there are some good reviews of 18-200mm VR lens, and I suggets you go and try what works for you and what you like best.
Take a CF card with you to the camera store, take shots with different lens, and analyse the pictures at home.

but as I said - anything will be better then Oly 8080 ... it is f$#%&g SLOW to focus

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4

Hi Tia,

I have both the SB-800 and the SB-600 and I'm telling you that the difference in the price is not that much for the extra usable power that the SB-800 provides. There is a huge difference in performance. I have My 600 ready to trade or sell so I can get another 800. I'll probably just take it to Orlando the next time I go there and trade it in. I bought the SB-600 as a second flash because I recieved information from guys like Ken Rockwell and He was just plain WRONG. I think there is a place for the 600 if You are only doing snap shots as well as there is a place for the new SB-400. For the very best all around flash quality I prefer the SB-800.

I'm not saying this to make anybody mad. It is just My opinion.

Ronnie.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:39 PM   #5
rey

For shooting kids running around the house, a fun lens to use is wide. I have the Tokina 12-24, but a Sigma 10-20 is good as well. It's not a standard lens for portrait, but for kids running around, it's a great and fun lens as you get to shoot their play area as well.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:02 PM   #6

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I recieved information from guys like Ken Rockwell and He was just plain WRONG. I think there is a place for the 600 if You are only doing snap shots as well as there is a place for the new SB-400. For the very best all around flash quality I prefer the SB-800.

I'm not saying this to make anybody mad. It is just My opinion.

Ronnie.
Ken Rockwell is plain wrong a lot of times I hear your pain Ronnie
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote