Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:40 AM   #1

I might be shooting a wedding in a few months and my current lens for my D70 is the low-cost Nikkor 28-105 (and my big glass is their equally cheap 70-300). I have been pricing out lens and features and narrowed it down to the Tamron 18-200 Di-II XR (which my research has told me can be either very good or horrible), Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF (how many flavors of 28-200 does Nikon make?), or the Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR. Realistically, which of these lens won't do a good job? Of course, the legendary Nikon 18-200 is out of the question, since I will probably earn less than this lens is going for.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

You can probable use the lens you already have if You have a good flash like the SB-800 Nikon Speedlight.

Get the Nikon SC-29 TTL cord and a Stroboframe PRO-T off camera flash bracket to use with the SB-800 and the lens you already have and You should be able to produce some very good photographs.

Some ministers suggest not using a flash, But I feel it is the Brides wedding and not the official's. I use My flash anyway. I never got shot for it. The main thing is for you to go to the rehearsal and take a paper and pen and take notes on the exact way the wedding will follow so You can be in the right place at the right time. Ask where the flower arrangements will be because you will need to shoot around them. They will probably be in the way as well as the $#&^% video person.

I used to use a 24/120 lens on My D100 with no problems. I now only use a Nikon 18/200 "VR" on My D200. I have done weddings using a Nikon 990 & then a Nikon 8700 with success but it was not easy. (small ceremonys only)

I always set my camera to Aperture preferred and open up my lens all the way using Center Weight Meter TTL flash.

Take your time between shots so as to not fill up your camera's buffer and to let the flash fully charge. The only reason I went to the D200 was for the large buffer in it or I would still be using My D100. Once you fill up the buffer you are out of business until it emptys to your CF card. The 10 or 15 seconds will seem like forever. Practice at the rehearsal so you can pace your shots.

It is the Bride's day and if you remember that, and do your photographs according to what She wants first ,You will have no problems at all.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. (But I still think I need a better lens!:lol I plan on getting the module so I can use my Promaster 5750DX flash with my D70. It's got an off-camera capability and I already have the cord. And, I built a little softbox for it. Here's what it did for my Olympus P&S: http://jeffglasser.com/cc/

Do you know of any tutorials about how to deal with the preflash when using slave flashes? I'll be using a couple of them with umbrellas on stands. Right now, conventional wisdom says to use the MANUAL mode and check exposure with the histogram.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:20 PM   #4

You're not going to be able to use wireless flash during the ceremony and you're not going to get the results a critical audience will expect... and it doesn't get much more critical than brides, grooms, and their parents. You're going to need some faster lenses with the ability to keep shutter speeds manageable in lower light, even if you use your flash. You're also going to want depth-of-field control for portraits and... and for this there's not replacement for a large aperature. Sharpness is something else that will be expected and none of the lenses you're considering are known for this. A macro prime would be handie for detail shots of the dress and rings... and the benefit of having a macro prime in the long portrait range is having the perfect lens for "the kiss", one of the most important wedding shots.

Based on your budget I would reccomend either a Sigma or Tamron in the 17/18-50mm or 24/28-70/75mm range w/ constant f/2.8 aperature along with a 70mm, 90mm, 105mm, or 150mm f/2.8 macro. You're going to need some reach to get "the kiss", so a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 might be more benneficial than the macro (unless you get the 150mm, mabye a 105mm). Weddings are difficult to photograph properly... mainly because you only get one shot at it and if you mess up those memories are lost. You don't neccesarily have to get a pair $1500 nikkor lenses but you do need the right tools for the job... and a fast normal zoom and a fast telephoto (either long macro prime or zoom) is going to be pretty much mandatory to do the job right.

Since you already have a flash and body your looking at a $500 - $1000 budget to get what you need to do things right. Probably the least expensive kit you could make due with would be a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DF for around $150 and a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX D for around $310, both used from KEH. I would highly reccomend a more versatile fast telephoto zoom like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM but you're looking at around $600 used for something like that. If you use flash during the ceremony AND can stay pretty close (i.e. small venue) then you MIGHT be able to get away w/ something like the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro... that said, you may end up detracting from the ceremony as you'll likely be in the center isle to get a good shot of "the kiss".
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:58 AM   #5

Wow...amazing how these posts stay up here!

I just got a Nikon 80-200 f2.8. I also got a Nikon 18-70, which isn't faster than the 28-105 it replaced but I think it will do a better job. I also plan on getting a manual- focus prime lens, like a 50mm f1.8 or f2, for the portrait work before the ceremony, where I don't need automatics (I'll be using portable studio strobes).

The long lens should be OK for the ceremony, so I can stay out of the way of the altar. I'm in the process of looking at monopods as we speak.

I have devoted a great deal of time and effort to shooting at close distances with a diffused flash (with the short lens) and I think I'm close to reaching Nirvana. This should cover the cutting of the cake, the rings, and other important family things.