Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:41 PM   #1

can someone give me some sample pictures taken with the Nikon 55x200mm af dx slr lens
jess russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2
rey

here's a link to pbase of pics taken by people with this lens:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/5...-56g_ed_afs_dx

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:28 PM   #3

rey, thanks for the site and the pictures look good..may have to have one of those 55x200.do you find its difficult to hold the lens still at the 200mm not to blur.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:44 AM   #4
rey

I don't/never owned this lens. I just posted the pbase link for pics sample.

The rule of thumb is at the very minimum, you have to use a "1/focal-length" of shutter speed or faster to negate blur due to handshake. So for a 200mm that's a minumum of 1/200 sec. or faster exposure. So on a scene with enough light to allow 1/200 sec. exposure for your desired aperture setting, you won't have any problems.

Here's a review from Thom Hogan:
http://www.bythom.com/55200lens.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:16 PM   #5

I apologize for being so late with my reply, but here is a sample photo from the Nikkor 55-200mm lens which is small, light, and even works well as a "walk around" lens. between my Nikkor 18-70mm lens and the Nikkor 55-200mm lens you get excellent coverage at a good price with good IQ.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:58 PM   #6

Here is another Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S lens photo.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:58 PM   #7

thanks for those great pictures.. the dove.. do you know what mm was taken at? Its a great picture.

Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:38 PM   #8

The bird photo is actually a seagull named Phil who stops by several times a day to bit bit of fish. The Nikkor 55-200mm was at about 150mm when I snapped the photo.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:36 PM   #9

This is a great shot. How far away were you to take this pic? I have a 70 - 300, but I am looking for a lens that is not quite as heavy (can't hold it still enough without a tripod). I am going on a trip in the rain forest through the canopy and don't want to have to keep changing lenses. Is the 55-200 good for that and what would be the difference between the two? I am an ameteur photograher and don't really understand too much of the technical stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help

Brenda
brendab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:37 PM   #10

There are several in my gallery on nikongear. Here are a couple. You will need to load the image since I also shoot with a 70-200 but, the 55-200 is a fine light lens which is nice to stick in your pocket as a walkaround. Personally, I think it is a vastly underrated lens

You will find other examples at http://www.nikongear.com/alb/index.php?cat=10429but, you will need to look at the image by itself to get the specific lens info.

This is from a walkaround at sunset when I saw the guys casting a net from our local fishing pier.

This is a pretty tight crop, notice the jaggies beginning on the forward part of the helicopter door.

BG5700D50 is offline   Reply With Quote