Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:58 AM   #1

Hi Guys, I'm looking to upgrade from a Fuji S9500 to a DSLR, I've not had the 9500 for that long but I soon realised it's limitation in low light, what I want is to be able to take much better looking photos in low light of my two year old and the new baby when it arrives in ten weeks. In an ideal world I would love to buy the D80 (after a lot of research pretty much set my heart on this) with either the 135 or 70mm kit lens plus the Nikon 50mm F1.8 prime lens. However this push's up the cost too much, so here's my question.

If I just bought the D80 body and the 50mm F1.8 prime would I really miss having no zoom ability straight away? Maybe I could still use my Fuji forlandscape shots and use the D80 for mostly indoor? or would the Kit lens be ok in low light or would it be just too slow?

Has anyone bought a D80 body only with just the prime lens?

The price difference between D80 + 70mm kit + 50mm prime V D80 body + 50mm prime is about £147, the 70mm lens here in the UK separately is about £180!

Any thoughts please,
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:19 PM   #2

anyone?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

You would find it very difficult to just have a 50mm lens, giving and effective focal length of 75mm.

That's effectively a short telephoto.

So yes, you should definitely get one of the kit lenses straight away.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:21 PM   #4

I would recommed you the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro lens for the D80.
Because it is wider, faster and sharper than the 18-70mm Nikkor and the difference in price is insignificant. That would be, in my opinion the perfect "kit" lens. It isn't heavy and you can take it anywhere. It also give very good performance for the price it charges.
After you have that you can figure out what primes suit you the best.
The 50 is a good prime but unfortunately you'll soon find out that it is indeed not quite suitable for digital as it turns into a 75mm. I use a 35/2 Nikkor that I seldom take of the S3 Pro. The 35mm gives you the equivalent of ~52mm on film and it is perfect for shooting people and portraits in crammed spaces. Still, you may want wider.
Hope I didn't bore you with all this.
Cheers and enjoy your new toys!

P.S. You may also wanna take a look at the Sigma 30/1.4. That is a little more expensive than the 50/1.8 but it may well be worth it. That way you'd have a perfect 45mm fast prime that would be perfectly suitable for low light photography.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:02 PM   #5

unless the rooms in your house are huge 50mm is too long for indoors. you'll make great indoor portraits but that's about it. it is just not wide enough for indoors

I have 50mm 1.8 canon lens for my rebel 300d and use it for indoor portraits or sometimes outdoors for high quality shots of small groups of people.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:49 AM   #6

Thanks for all you views guys, I'll probably go for the D80 with 18-70mm + 50mm F1.8 prime, then later in the year a Sb600.

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:25 PM   #7

Another thought if funds are limited is to get the 18-55, about the same price as the 1.8 50mm prime and a good performer. I think it would be much more useful than just the 50mm prime. The save your $$$ for the 18-200 later on. I have the 18-70 and the 18-55 and the prints look no different in quality.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:35 AM   #8

Just an update, I've just ordered the D80 135mm kit and also have a 50mm F1.8 Prime on order, I may have to wait a while for that though as no one has stock at the moment in the UK.

I'm now saving for a Sb600!