Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Does anyone have experience and/or a recommendation for shooting high school wrestling indoors - without a flash. I've read that an f2.8 lenses can handle this, but I'm not sure I believe it. They're expensive, so I'd like to be sure of what I'm getting before I jump in. I get so-so pictures with my D70 with an sb800 flash, but the overall quality isn't good. I've seen picutres taken with 2.8 or better lenses without a flash and they look great. Just want to be sure they were 'really' taken with that.

Thanks for the help.
sectioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:20 AM   #2

Unless your gym is really well lit f2.8 is unlikely to be fast enough though I guess there are 'still' moments in a wrestling bout and you might be able to get shots then.
If you can get close enough a 50mmf1.8 will be good and they are cheap. An 85mmf1.8 would let you shoot from a bit futher away and, though I'm not familiar with nikon lenses, shouldn't cost too much.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:27 AM   #3

A 2.8 lens will be fine. When I was doing concert photo's for the newspaper We all used Nikon 70 to 200 2.8 lens. I was using a Nikon F4s at the time. Digital is really no different. We used ISO 800 film. Center weight meter, aperture preferred and set the lens at 2.8 The lights on the subjects was always bright enough, Also did wrestling matches the same way as well as school plays and dance recitals.

Now Nikon has a 70/200"D"2.8 using ED glass that would be perfect for this type of photography.

With the digital camera you can set the ISO to 1000 or 800 and still get excellent quality, and at least see exactly what you have whilephotographing the event, We never had that luxury.

Don't worry about noise because it is much better to have a photograph then not have one at all. I have shot events at ISO 1000 with my D100 and also MyD200 withvery,very little problems with noise. Photo's must have been OK because I got paid well for the pictures.

Go to school plays or events and practice. You will be surprised how much you will learn about what your camera can do with a little experience. I have never had a problem going to A school play or event and bringing my camera.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks so much, Ronnie. I've been looking around pricing that lens, and it's a lot more reasonable than the other 2.8 lenses I was looking at. I just want to verify that this is the lens you were referring to:

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor

Is that the correct one? If so, it looks like I could get it for around $800 brand new. The reviews on that lens run about 95% possitive.

I hate to be a bother, but do you happen to have a sample gallery of indoor sports images that you took with a similar lens without a flash? I'd just like to see the kind of images I can expect.

Thanks for your time.
sectioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:30 PM   #5

That Is the lens, I don't really keep the photo's because I was doing stuff like that for the news journal. I have some of the negitives(Thousands) somewhere but I wouldn't begin to know how to find whats on them.

Ronnie.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Unless you are in a really well lit gym then you are not going to have enough light to do a good job and get the shutter speeds you need with f2.8.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would suggest looking at the below threads which cover similar questions buy the guys who regularly shoot sports indoors so have understanding of the subject.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

Have a look at the sports section on here and see who is shooting what and the lenses and settings they are using and this will give you even more info.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:49 PM   #7

I think the Nikkor 85 mm F 1.8 would give youa bit moreflexibility that you might need for those not so perfectly lighted venues you might encounter.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:51 PM   #8

Here is a picture taken yesterday with a Sigma 120-300 2.8
ISO 1660---SS320 seemed to work well for me

oldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:59 PM   #9
Super Moderator

These have come out well. What sort of PP have you done on them?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:54 PM   #10

These were shoot RAW a little temp adjustment some saturation-- and contrast
sharpen-- convert to Jepg NNinja and fianl levels adjustment
oldtime is offline   Reply With Quote