Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:44 PM   #1

I'm new here, been looking lately and love the site. You guys and gals seem to know your stuff....so, hence I ask you for help.

I have D50 and 70-300mm f4-5.6 G AF lens. I just purchased a Kenko Teleplus DG AF 1.5x teleconverter....effectively kicking me up to 450mm digital. My problem is this: I normally get nice super crisp pics from this lens and still do when used alone. I just got the teleconverter yesterday and haven't had alot of time to play with it. However, I'm becoming quickly disappointed. Free hand shooting, I expect blurr or lack of sharpness...so my initial shots were "okay, gotta be the free hand doing this". I went through extra trouble of cleaning glass, making sure I had no residue or film on glass...everything was fine. I shot ducks today at about 200 yards, full 300mm zoom + the teleconverter to make 450mm....nothing crisp about it. I came home, put camera on tripod, used timer for hands free shot....still nothing crisp about it. I then went to manual focus, looked clear and crisp through the eyepiece, shot....still nothing crisp about it. Is this what I'm stuck with or do you have insight into something I'm doing wrong or should change? Should I send this teleconverter back? I know this is not the best lens or teleconverter available by a longshot...is this the best results I can expect?
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:58 PM   #2

I wouldn't expect any great results with a teleconverter and any consumer grade zoom lens. You're effectively rendering AF useless because of the loss of light, and the teleconverter will make any optical shortcomings of the lens more visible. You may get decent results with the pro level F2.8 zooms, but really TC's were designed to make prime lenses more versatile.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought. I'm new to the SLR world obviously and do it as a hobby more or less. I did notice after my original post and a couple quick 'test' shots. At relative close range, it still gives me nice sharp images. I'll play around more and I'm sure I can overcome some "me" problems with it to get a little better. I'll hold onto it for the meantime and possibly find a use for it. But, as you said and I agree, it's what should be expected from this particular lens setup. Anyway, thanks again.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote