Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Hello,
I am having problems getting a straight answer concerning polarizing filters. I have owned polarizersin the past, so I'm well aware of their usefulness. However, I have recently got a nice new lens (Nikkor 18-200 VR) and I want to buy a polarizer that will not take away from the quality of the pictures, but I don't want to pay for extra filterquality that Iwon't see. So far I've found that for this lens I need a thincircular polarizing filter... but how much should I pay?

I am hopingsomeone out therehas used expensive and inexpensive polarizing filters and can fill me in on whether or not the extra money is justified. I have seen them range in price from $30 - $250. If there is a noticeable difference in the photos I'll spend the extra money. And can anyone recommend a particular filter?

Thanks for your help.
y036d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:02 PM   #2

Consider that you have paid good money for a good quality lens. Does it make sense to go on the cheap on the additional glass in front of the lens?

At the very least, get good optical glass that's multi-coated. Look at the % rating of light passing through the proposed filter.

One good source for quality; fairly priced filters is at:

http://www.2filter.com/

Read their FAQs. They're very reputable and stand behind their products. One Hoya CP I purchased from them had a defect. They sent a replacement out with a prepaid mailer for returning the defective one...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3
rey

I think it depends on how often you'll use it. Besides the optics, there's also the quality of the thread. Some get stuck or bends.

I don't use filters much, so I went with a cheap one for my Nikon 18-200VR. I paid $30 (plus shipping) for a Hoya Circular Polarizer from Adorma's Amazon website. I don't know if it's the "blue" or "green" series, but it's marked "Made in Japan" and Adorama sells this filter for $65 on their regular site.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:12 PM   #4

I use a B&W thin polarizer to prevent vignetting. I got it used from Adorama for around $90. New, it's over $100. I wouldn't spend any less. It doesn't make much sense to hang a cheap $30 filter on a $800 lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the helpful tips.

You all make very good points, especially Rey's point of determining how much I'll use it. I hadn't thought of that. I think it's often forgottenhow much something will be used. I have used polarizers a lot in the past and I suspect I'll do the same with this camera. Therefore paying around $100 sounds right.

Thanks again.
y036d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:03 PM   #6

Good glass demands good glass! Don't go cheap on the filters. A high quality multicoated circular polarizer is the way to go. I just purchased a HOYA Pro 1 Digital CP for $103 (72mm which should fit your 18-200 VR) from 2filter.com.
mjgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:08 AM   #7

mjgoetz wrote:
Quote:
Good glass demands good glass! Don't go cheap on the filters. A high quality multicoated circular polarizer is the way to go. I just purchased a HOYA Pro 1 Digital CP for $103 (72mm which should fit your 18-200 VR) from 2filter.com.
Yeah but you probably getting ripped off for that price, I notice you guys in the States get filter at costly prices.

For the same above filter Digital Pro1 CPL 77mm I bought for $88.00Aust.

I bought Super HMC Pro 1 UV(o) at $50.00 Aust for my 17-55mm dx. Honestly I do not really know if my pictures will look better on this filter or a normal cheap HMC Hoya filter at 1/3 the price, I bought one to try and compare.

I have never understand why B+W filters are so expensive? Can someone promote this filter brand to me in explaining how much better is it from Hoya? I know is German made but whatelse? The box looks very plain. And it cost 3 times more.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote