Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

I have got a D80 with 18-135 mm kits lens. I am very new in this DSLR, so learning about DSLR and shooting around with this kit lens for a month. I am very pleased with the quality of the pictures that I have with this lens.

TodayI bought a AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 for portrait shooting. As I said I am a newbie in this DSLR, I have some problem usingthis 50mm lenswith D80. My problem is:

When Irotate the APerture ring to select the f/1.8... f/16 on the aperture scale, the camera top lcd panel shown "FEE" error and cannot press the shutter button. According to the manual book (pg 132), "FEE" error message means Lens aperture ring not locked at minimum aperture.. (In this case f/22.)

If I select f/22 on the lens I can takethe picture.

Does it mean the 50mm f/1.8 AF lens should be set up to minimum aperture f/22 with D80 to take a picture? Is this normal?

What is the difference between Lens aperture and camera aperture? I can use aperture f-stop1.8 to 22 on the camera body by using the frontwheel in A/P/M modes when aperture ring on the lens is setting to 22. So I confuse about these two terms. The f-stop is constant in other modes (cannot change with front wheel) and it depends on the mode selected.

Someone please explain me urgently as if the lens has a problem I can change it in 3 days. (Monday)

Thanks.

chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:24 PM   #2

It just means you have to leave the lens locked at f22, and then set the aperture in camera. This is just the case with some lenses, so I'm sure the lens is fine. Just leave it locked at 22 and set the aperture using the camera.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:08 PM   #3

This is normal. Lenses with the aperature ring were originally designed for older SLR's which did not control aperature via the camera body. Newer slrs and DSLR control aperature via the body, so these older lenses must be stopped all the way down in order to be used. Your lens is working as it should, and is not defective. To select aperature using your camera, shoot in either aperature (A) priority or manual and use the command dial and lcd screen to select the aperature you desire.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:52 PM   #4

Goomer and rjseeney,

Thank you very much for your prompt replies.

It helps me alot. I am very much appreciated your answers.
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:36 AM   #5

This helped me out.
Ron Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:37 AM   #6

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
To select aperature using your camera, shoot in either aperature (A) priority or manual and use the command dial and lcd screen to select the aperature you desire.
Hello, I am also very new to the DSLR world, how can I change the aperture in the
M(manual) mode? Also, in A(aperture) mode, the aperture seems stuck at f/1.8, when I am using the wheel, nothing happens.

I locked the aperture ring on the lens at f/22, as previously specified.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Dragos

dragos.haiduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7
Administrator

You're probably using the wrong dial, or you are turning it the wrong way.

By default, it looks like the dial just in front of the shutter button is used to control aperture on a D80. But, you can swap the functions of the front dial and back dial via a custom setting if desired.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:59 AM   #8

Thanks for the answer.

Just as a side question: what should be the setting for the A/M switch located on the lower left side of the camera body in this situation?

Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Administrator

It changes between Autofocus and Manual Focus (where you turn the focus ring on the lens to achieve accurate focus versus letting the camera focus for you).

I'd suggest looking through your manual to determine what the controls are for. ;-)

Link to D80 manual at nikon usa

You may also find your camera's review here helpful. It shows you what the controls are for and goes through the available menu choices for most functions.

Nikon D80 Review

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:18 AM   #10

I know what the control is for, I was just wondering what should be its position when using the Nikkor 50 f/1.8D lens.

Thank you very much for the manual links, this helped me a lot.