Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:35 PM   #1

I recently bought the D80 and have the 18-135mm lens, which I am less than thrilled with. With all my old (Canon) equipment, I had a 50mm 1.8 lens and loved it. However, I am now considering the 1.4 due to the less than inspiring feedback I read at B&H's website. :roll:So what has your experience been with either or both? And I want to make sure I'm getting the right type of lens as well. I don't know what all these "D's", "EX's", etc. mean these days. Should it be pretty straight forward on their site? I know my 18-135 says "AF-S" "DX" and "ED". Thanks much for any help. :-)
Cleo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:56 PM   #2

I recently purchased the Nikkor 50mm F 1.4 lens on e-bay. Naturally, I was holding my breath, waiting for delivery. The lens arrived this morning, and this is my "test photo." The lens is perfect and works beautifully with my D-50.

From what I have been able to determine, the lenses marked "50mm 1:1.4D" and "50mm 1:1.8D" will operate perfectly with the newer Nikon models such as the D-50 and the D-80.

I have attached a photo sample from this new Nikkor 50mm F 1.4 lens. The photo is straight from the camera with no post processing other than re-sizing to allow posting.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:38 PM   #3

My thought was that I didn't want to make any compromises (purchased the 1.4). The 1.8 seemed to have more compromises than the 1.4.

There are many people who love the 1.8, but I heard it's not as sharp wide open...but what's the point of having 1.8 if you can't use it?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:14 PM   #4

swgod98-

It was for that very same reason that I deided to go for the Nikkor 50mm F 1.4.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:26 AM   #5

I have the 1.8 and I'm very happy with this on my D80, if I had the money I would have bought the 1.4, but you can't have everything can you. I'm currently saving for a SB600 which as I understand complements this lens very well.

I have to say I'm also more than happy with the 135mm, I find it sharp and the focus is very fast!

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

I think the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is very good but I think the 1.4 is better if you don't mind paying more. The 1.4 has a little better color rendition and the extra .4 stop is worth having when you need it.

If you can't swing the 1.4 the 1.8 is still a very good lens worth using.

As far as a flash goes, The SB-800 is the one to get. I have a 600 and an 800 and I really wish I would have purchased another 800 instead of the 600. If you can't swing the SB-800 you need to wait and save up until you can pay the difference. It will be worth the wait.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote