Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:25 AM   #1

What is your preference for a third party lens? The cost genuine Nikkor lenses is high, and I would like to expand my kit. I don't know a lot about the third party lenses. I have read some good reviews, but what is the general consensus? Is one manufacturer better than another?

I would love the hear which manufacturer is your favorite and why!
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:10 AM   #2

I've not used Tamron lenses so can't comment on them. I do use Sigma and Tokina lenses and have no problem with the quality. With Sigma I'd only buy the EX lenses and with Tokina the AT-X range. These are their quality lenses. They also make cheaper lenses but so do Nikon. For example Nikon do a 70-300 zoom lens available in the UK for £109 they also do a 70-300 zoom at £629. Sigma also do two 70-300 zooms, one at £95 and one at £139. In reviews I've read the £95 is not as good as the £109 Nikon but the £139 is better, of course the £629Nikon lens is the best.

Incidentally a Sigma 70-200 EX lens is £629 and a Nikon 70-200 is £1,170.

If you buy a cheap lens you'll get a lens of lower quality optically and build quality.However most lenses todayproduce acceptable results in most circumstances andmost people will be totally satisfied with them. You'll probably only ever noticeany deficiencies if you blow the picture up to hugesizes.

If you are in any doubt the best bet is to find a shop that has the lens you're interested in in stock. Ask to try it on your camera then look at the results at home before committing to a purchase.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:55 AM   #3

Nagasaki, has given excellent advice-

Third party lenses can be high in quality, and a good buy if you are very selective. I am using Tamaron, Tokina, and Sigma lenses, but like, Nagasaki, have been careful to stay with each maker's upper level lenses.

If you can, always take some test shot in the shop and then examine them closely on your computer.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

The answer is really that it depends.

Some third-party lenses are very highly regarded, either coming close to the Nikon at a fraction of the price, filling gaps in the Nikon line-up very well, or even outperforming the Nikon version.

Such examples include the Tokina 12-24 f/4, the Sigma 30 f/1.4, the Sigma 150 f/2.8, the Sigma 180 f/3.5, the Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 (Bigma), the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, the Sigma 70-300 APO f4-5.6 (for a budget lens), the Sigma 80-400 f/4.5-5.6, the Sigma 100-300 f/4, the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, the Tamron 90 f/2.8, and others.

Just as with Nikon, there are third-party lenses to be avoided, if possible.

Still, only Sigma and Nikon have AF-S or equivalent, and the only third-party lens with VR/OS is the Sigma 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 at the moment (though an 18-200 has been announced by Sigma). Finally, build is often better on the Nikon, though that's not universally true, and Sigma EX and Tokina in general tend to be built to last as well.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:03 PM   #5
rey

Just like mentioned above, some 3rd party lenses have gained reputation as being pretty good.

What I like about Nikon is that in the US they come with 5 year warranty. So I always take that into consideration. The only 3rd party I have right now is the Tokina 12-24 and I'm very happy with it. I could have easily bought the Sigma 10-20 as well.

Speaking of warranty, in the US, some of these 3rd party lenses actually have longer warranty than Canon

I saw on the other post that you are interested with Sigma 90mm macro. I've never use this, but I've read good reviews about the Tamron 90. You may want to research that one.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:13 PM   #6

rey wrote:
Quote:
Just like mentioned above, some 3rd party lenses have gained reputation as being pretty good.

What I like about Nikon is that in the US they come with 5 year warranty. So I always take that into consideration. The only 3rd party I have right now is the Tokina 12-24 and I'm very happy with it. I could have easily bought the Sigma 10-20 as well.

Speaking of warranty, in the US, some of these 3rd party lenses actually have longer warranty than Canon

I saw on the other post that you are interested with Sigma 90mm macro. I've never use this, but I've read good reviews about the Tamron 90. You may want to research that one.
Quote:
I agree with you on the Tokina 12-24MM I have the same lens, excellent quality and very fast autofocus even in cold weather. here's a review on 4 wide anglelenses. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digi...comparison.htm
Quote:
Glen Lastiwka
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote